Hibiscus Trees with Yellow Leaves

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

I bought these wonderful hibiscus trees at Sam's Club and repotted them. They are starting to get yellow leaves. Does anyone know what this means? Too much water? Not enough? Too much sun? I would appreciate any thoughts on this! I don't want them to die. They look so very nice on my patio! :)

Thumbnail by Allie88
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Did they dry out? Hibiscus requires a good daily watering in the summer when they are in full sun. The yellow leaves usually occur when I haven't stayed on top of watering them

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't worry, it will shed those yellow leaves and put on new growth but hibiscus is a waterhog in our area. Will take lots of water and feeding. Don't worry about too much sun. Mine are out in the open here in the south. They will wilt when too dry but recover quickly from watering. Perhaps the repotting disturbed the roots to cause some leaf shed. They are beautiful though. Good luck.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

MY friend Lali bought three exspensive Hibiscus plants. Sense they want too much to ship to CA and she was coming to visit she had them shipped here and gave me one.
They were nice size pots nice size plants. But they were so wet. We did not have to water them for over a week even had to dry them up a bit. Some of the leaves turned yellow and fell off becasue of them being too wet. He sent instruction and it said one of the reasons for yellow leaves falling off was over watering . Another reason can be mite/pest.
After the first yellow leaves fell off and the plants dried up and were not kept too wet the foliage was perfect and never turned yellow again !

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They tend to require lots of fertilizer and water here too. This one is clearly enjoying the rain.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you, everyone! You've been extremely helpful! And have given me much hope that they are not dying!!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Rain? What Rain. We heard you got flooded today. Not here just a wish and a prayer... Gorgeous bloom tho... thanks for sharing.

Gilbert, AZ

This message was edited Aug 4, 2006 10:10 PM

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

You have to feed hibiscus. I like osmacote. It delivers a steady stream of food for several months. They like heat and sun. you can prune back and they will branch out freely, too. I find they do better on my brown deck which gets hotter in the summer than the garden beds. You will have to water them nearly every day if it is hot, but here in Massachusetts this has not been a problem. We've had enough rain for the rainforest lately. You have to make sure you have great drainage in your pots, also. And I had to replace the top layer of potting soil in a couple of pots because the heavy rains splashed it out. Just pick off the yellow leaves, fertilize however you want to and water. They will love you for it.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.