Grif's select Gardenia

Catonsville, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi, everyone-what a beautiful spring! I've planted a new perennial garden-mainly butterfly & hummer attractors & it looks awesome---I decided to try the 'Grif's Select Gardenia'; supposedly able to grow in the Mid-Atlantic region. I live in Catonsville,Md. The plant is growing but some of the leaves have turned yellow.Any suggestions on why? All other plants in this garden are doing well (other than a bit of powdery mildew which I have under control.) I'd love to see this plant thrive!!!! Help! also, I planted a bit of honey suckle but something keeps pulling it out of the ground--didn't realize honeysuckle would be a victim of critter raiding...I suspect my cat-are they attracted to honeysuckle????
happy gardening!

Alexandria, VA

I'm not sure what your soil ph is like, but Gardenias like acidic soil, so maybe a bit of acidic fertilizer?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy...if you can get Gardenia to grow here...please let me know and where to pick up that type!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey hey, I bought 2 Gardenias this spring, keep them on the table on my deck in pots, not a problem so far, they bloomed like crazy when it was cooler, but now they are just growing new leaves, I keep 'em as moist as possible (not a problem recently as we all know), spray them with messenger every so often and give them a regular water mist every day, Gardenias don't like to be dry it seems and not too much direct sun.....:) They got some yellow leaves, but perked up when I started misting them with messenger and water. I heard MANY horror stories about growing Gardenias but thought what the hey and tried anyway. Planting them in the ground does not seem to be an option.....(I do not have the guts) Now ask me next spring if they survived indoors during the winter!!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Shenandoah Valley, VA

The variety that Warwick is talking about is a hardy gardenia. They have them at Park Seeds, probably Wayside as well. They were selling them in the Park clearance too.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Becky....next spring? Yepper...I will do just that..if your's make it...then I'll go ahead and get some. I've killed probably three of them!!

Catonsville, MD(Zone 7b)

My Gardenia is thriving----- & blooming! The blooms are not as full as the standard but beautiful nonetheless! I can't wait to see how it does come winter; that will be the true test.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.