Evergreen shrubs

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I would be most interested to know of your favourite evergreen shrub. I am trying to see which performs best for you. Can you please mention the conditions under which it grows, i.e. soil, exposure etc and the rate of growth each year. For me, back home, it was Choisya ternata (Mexican orange blossom) and Viburnum tinus but I can't seem to find them here. I do like the Wax myrtle that seems to do well here in zone 7.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

OK so I guess no-one grows evergreen shrubs!! :-)

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Louisa, wax myrtle grows just fine in Memphis, TN which is zone 7B with very high summer temps combined with high humidity. I like this shrub/small tree very much; however, do have to prune it frequently. We also grow arbovitaes, yews, mugo pines, and various other conifers. It's late and I'm tired, but will get a Zone 7 list together for you in the morning along with my experience with same.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, it was late and know the feeling :-).......hope you slept well. By the way, a lot of people still think that evergreen means conifers - like my daughter-in-law. I love the wax myrtle and hope to plant it. Thanks for taking the time to post :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.