An Awesome Find in my Hosta Bed

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I am opposed to declawing too. I have always had cats myself. They make wonderful pets.

Collinsville, VA(Zone 7b)

I have 10 (yes, ten!) indoor-only cats and none of them are or ever will be declawed. They are my kids and I love them as such. PLEASE don't declaw. PLEASE. It is cruel and can cause serious emotional problems for the cat, to say nothing of taking away their main means of defense. Cats can be trained to not scratch where you don't want them to. We have a cat tree in every room and they use them. We have a water pistol and we use it ;-)

However, they need to be spayed/neutered ASAP. My 3 year old "kittens" had theirs done at 13 weeks and didn't turn a hair. Some vets will do it this soon and some won't.

Thank you for rescueing these precious babies! They will give you uncounted hours of joy.

Barbara

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Slap me silly and call me stupid,,,but, I'm finally getting the point. Probably won't be de-clawing these two sweet brats. Everyone is so passionate about this and have some good points.
I will talk to my vets and see what they say,,,but am pretty sure I won't de-claw. Although, I will be purchasing some waterguns and spray bottles,,,cause I'm NOT having my furniture wrecked by a couple of sweet little brats,,,LOL I guess scratching posts it is.

Man, rescuing is going to cost a ton of cash.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

My neice uses something like 'nail caps' or 'soft paws'. (I probably don't have the name right.) They are little colored plastic thingies that go over the cats claws. I think that they come in various colors. They show ever so slightly and kind of look like they've had a manicure. Every beautician should have a manicured cat, don't you think?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Absolutely,,, another thing to put on my list,,,,,I hope you're keeping track of all the stuff I need Marie,,,,roflol I think hot pink for little missy and lime green for little mr.

I was going to polish Mooshkas nails but Bill told me he wasn't having a dog with nail polish on, and got Really adamant,,,,I didn't not do it cause of that,,,I just knew the stinker wouldn't sit still. She's 11 and we Still have to bribe her to get her nails cut,,,grrrrr.

Apex, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Kelly....I was just remembering something about kittens. It's often really difficult to tell what sex they are - especially when they are so small. It's possible that you won't be able to know for sure for a while longer.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Regarding the colors, calico and red tabby (or cream/tan) are sex-linked colors. The gene for calico comes on the "X" chromosome. It must be inherited from both parents and be present on two "X" chromosomes (giving a girl) in order for the calico color to show up. If the cat has only one "X" chromosome with that particular gene, it won't be a calico. This is why you almost never see a male calico. The exception is that sometimes a cat will pick up an extra chromosome and instead of having "X" and "Y", it will have "X" "X" "Y" and since it now has two of the "X"s, it can be a calico...but the extra chromosome normally also causes it to be sterile...but not 100% of the time. There are urban myths out there that a male calico (or fertile male calico) is worth a lot of money...not true. It is rare, but it is still not a purebred cat, thus worth the same as every other "moggie" (mixed breed)--worth lots of human love!

For scratchers, you can take a 4x4 post and wrap it with sisal rope about 1/2" thick, and save some money. Some cats like vertical things to scratch on, and the cats should be able to stretch up their full length. Judge how big the cats will be by looking at mamacat. For horizontal scratching, you can't beat toy called "turboscratcher". It has a round cardboard scratcher that can be replaced in the middle surrounded by a track with a ball in it. Kittens usually go nuts for this toy and it isn't very expensive. Other toys that most cats love--ping pong balls in the bathtub, paper bags, cardboard boxes, foil balls, fur "micey men", and any sort of feather wand. My cats go crazy for a laser pointer. Great when you want to play but want to sit down too. I use a regular pen style one that uses "AAA" batteries which are much cheaper to replace than the watch style batteries in the "pet" type laser pointers. Breeder friends of mine don't recommend "scoopable" litter for kittens under 6 months as they might try to eat it and it may clog up their insides.

I second getting the spay/neuter done as soon as possible. Many humane societies do them young and at a reduced price. If you can trap mamacat and have her done at the same time (they may let you release her afterward), it might help prevent more kittens in the future.

Laura

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

My neighbor and I trapped the momma cat to kittens that my girls brought home and had her spayed. Let me tell you, she was a wild thing!!! LOL We got a reduced rate cause she was a stray cat.
Boxes are great!!!! I have this box on the back porch that I can't throw away cause Scrappies sleeps in it. She's so sweet!!

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

lav,
I'm pretty sure it is a he. She tries to nurse off of him and he has the right part in the right place. Unless it's an odd growth or something.

Laura,
Thanks for all the good info about the posts and toys.

Debbie,
Aw, she is sweet. And I have boxes so that's a good thing.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

my cats love a box. Better than anything.... or a grocery sack. Anything that I didn't spend anything on, LOL

And I have spent a bunch. I might have to send you a care package of kitty toys, just for fun.

I will send Mooshka something too of course. She can't be left out.

Susan
=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan,

LOL,,,,You are too funny. I can handle a bag or a box,,,that's good that they like simple things.

Beachwood, OH

HI there Gardengeek! I wouldn't even think about doing expensive elective surgery on the kittens until you know whether you're really keeping them. I also think by then you will have a better feel for their personalities and whether they are trainable. I have 3 cats all with full sets of claws who are perfectly mannered in the house. And all 3 were strays that wandered in - 2 as kittens. They go outside to scratch on a tree - first choice, and 2nd choice is a big sisal wrapped post I leave in the basement.

I think the trick for us was keeping them in the house when they were young and never letting them out. We would sit in a small room with them and watch TV and play when they were little. They overcome their fear then of climbing in your lap and being handled all over. We first had to keep the door closed or they would run out. We got this recommendation from some cat book and it worked well for my cats. The youngest one - 4, would like to be outside now about 15 hours a day and loves to hunt, the 6 y.o goes out to go to the bathroom and immediately comes back to take up a vigil for the door to open so he can come back inside. And the old geezer at 19 does whatever he pleases and gets away with it.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

alyrics,

Good to hear from you. I'm not making any major decisions until we find out if we're meant to be owned by these 2 little stinkers. I will get some toys so we can play. We handle them regularly and they don't hiss anymore when they see our hands coming at them. Things are progressing nicely so far.

Introducing Mooshka is something we're going to take Really slowly because of the young age of the kittens. It's nice to see them healthy,,,although, they need baths something terrible,,lol I'll be taking them to the vet next week for an overall check and to get de-wormed.

They stay in Mooshkas old pet carrier unless Mooshka is outside. Then, I let them out to play a bit. They play in the carrier, but I want them to get used to the house and the scents. Mooshka actually went upstairs today to nap on our bed,,,,good sign,,, IMO.

Have been looking on the internet for ways to introduce kittens to a dogs house. Found some very helpful info.

Hope things are well with you.

Kelly

You are doing a great job! It's OK to bathe them if they are stinky...or you can use some baby wipes to clean them up a bit, just wipe down with a damp towel afterward.

You might be surprised at how well cats do with dogs. I have a photo of a friends golden retriever being "massaged" on her side by a tiny kitten...cutest thing you ever saw. Of course, that is a golden, and you know your doggie buddy best.

Once the kittens settle down some, make sure that you DO handle them all over. When they are sleeping is a good time to gently stroke them and play with their paws. Extend their claws so they get used to having toes handled...gets them ready for clipping claws later when needed. Just use some scissors-type pet claw clippers. The ones with "guards" just slow you down as you can't see the claw as well. Regular nail clippers are fine for kittens. Just nip off the ends, don't go to where the blood is in the quick...looks darker than the rest of the claw. You probably already know that with the dog. If you can do just one at a time, then do another later, they will get used to it.

Laura

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Laura,

We're lucky, Mooshka has all but 2 white nails so I can see the quick. Doesn't mean I haven't drawn blood before,,,but only 3 times in 12 years so that's not too bad,,,LOL

I will be getting these 2 used to having their paws handled and being bathed. I have heard cats don't need baths very often, but I still want them used to it.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

We have a climber in our midst,,,lol

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

And both of them watching Mooshka. They love their carrier home. When they are out playing, they go back in on their own when they are done. We put one of Mooshkas stuffed toys in there and they love to sleep snuggled up to it.

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hmmmmm, looks like Mooshka has some new siblings. :) Good, you, Bill and Mooshka will be good family for them. :)

Diann

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Kelly, they are sooooooooo cute!!! Looks like the little girl wants to play with Mooshka, but the boy is going.....Hey sis, that thing is sooooo big, get back here before it notices you. And she's going.....But look how fluffy, cozy and warm it is. Like jumpin on a cloud!! LOL

Debbie

When you bathe them, just put a towel in the bottom of the sink so they feel more secure...also don't wear anything you don't mind getting wet, LOL. A wet cat has more ways to get loose than you can imagine! A helper is nice and have some nice towels handy to snuggle them dry at first. They can air dry the rest of the way.

For soap, you can use tearless baby shampoo or cat shampoo. Regular dish soap is also OK...just be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse after done. You could sprinkle on a bit of baby powder when dry...and put on Mooshka afterwards too to make them smell like "hers".

Laura

Apex, NC(Zone 7b)

They're so tiny I bet you could just put a little baby shampoo on a damp wash cloth and get them plenty clean right now. They'll learn to groom themselves soon enough, but probably too your for that at the moment.

Baby kitten nails are sharp as heck. You'll probably want to get them used to having their nails clipped pretty soon. Laura - how early can you get started with that?

Nice to hear Mooshka feels comfortable enough to leave her watch for a while!

~Angie

PS - Laura - great info on the genetics of cat colors! I'd always thought that red tabby (aka, orange) cats were most often male. However, I have a female myself.

Here's Peaches - she's my gardening buddy.

Thumbnail by lavendargrrl

You should be able to start nipping the ends off with nail clippers right away. When they are little, you don't have to do more than blunt the tips as they'll be growing pretty fast anyway, and there is less chance of getting to the quick. With the light colors of these cats, the quick should be quite visible.

May be best to try when they are sleeping, after a good play when they crash, get one and put in on your lap, maybe nested in a towel for comfort. Then gently take one paw and see if they will let you extend the toes. If this is OK for a couple of times, then nip off the end of one claw and quit...praising the while and do another one later. Kittens are so on the go that getting them when sleeping is the best time.

Laura

This message was edited Jun 3, 2006 10:11 AM

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kelly,

This cat thing only sounds difficult. I think that cats are much easier to live with than dogs. They just don't have you trained yet. I have a house full of cat toys, so I'll have to weed through them a get a care package together for you on Monday. Just when you think that you've found the cutest, cleverest cat toy.....the cats decide that the packaging is sooo much better. I've got toys that no one will play with, and others that are just trashed.

I suppose that with mom not there to keep them squeaky clean that you do need to step in. No one likes a smelly cat. I have some cleaning wipes made just for cats. My cats have never been fond of the water. I have heard that if you lower their hind quarters into a bucket of water they don't get so overwhelmed since their head is safely high and dry.

Have a great weekend everyone. Absolutely glorious weather here.

Apex, NC(Zone 7b)

I was in PetSmart earlier, and they have a couple of different brands of cat "shampoo" that is a foam. You massage it into the cat then wipe off with a soft towel. They also sold the wipes. Either option would probably work very well. Or....the damp wash cloth I'm sure would be fine, too.

As for cutting the nails, I make sure to massage all my cats' paws and extend out their claws on a regular basis - not just when I'm going to cut the nails. That way, they can associate it with something good and not just the nail clipping time.

I also saw those claw clip things that someone mentioned above - kind of expensive - around $30 I think. I would just keep those sharp little nails nipped off on the ends like Laura said above and everything should be fine.

The water bottle will work wonders at teaching them what's not okay now while they are young and impressionable :-)

~Angie

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

When Muffin and Indy were tiny, they 'nursed' their food so they had to have baths every time they ate or they got sticky and stiff. LOL

I just used plain warm water and rinsed them off. They looked like little drowned rats until they got dry but at least they weren't stiff.

I will be glad when you get to the vet and see what age he thinks they are.

Susan
=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

They are doing great. Had them out playing for a bit in the Salon while Gran was here this morning. So funny to watch.

Going to give them baths later tonight after I'm done outside. If Paul Mitchell shampoo is good enough for me, it's good enough for them,,,LOL

I think we may have found a good home for them. One of my friends said her sister is wanting to get 2 kittens for her kids. They are just dying to have kittens. What a wonderful thing to see 2 kids so excited to get their little kittens. This way they would be together. I'll have to see if it works out.

Gotta get back outside. Thanks all for the info

Kelly

It would be great for them to go to a home together.

Recommend plain dish soap rather than human shampoo, for the bath, though shouldn't be an issue as long as you rinse them really well.

Glad to hear you have found a home for them, make sure that their new home uses the same litter and food that you have been getting them used to so that their tummies don't get upset and their "training" doesn't get interrupted.

Laura

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Whew! Was out in the garden all day and just tuned in - what a discussion! I know you'll make the decision best for you and your little ones, Kelly. I think gardeners are always very passionate about all the things they love. After putting in my two cents worth yesterday, I just had to get a pic of my very own granny baby. Here she is - Bambi (my daughter named her)19 years old, never declawed (but fixed for sure), and even stays out all night (but just once in a while when the weather is perfect). Mostly she rules our bed at night. We've always immediately trained our kittens to use the clawing post, but I know they all have their own personalities. Isn't she gorgeous? And can you tell she's got attitude? Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Laura,
Thanks for the info again.

dax,
What a beauty.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Kids and Kittens go together like Peas and Carrots.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,That's what I thought.

Apex, NC(Zone 7b)

When are you gonna know if the people with the kids are going to take them?
~Angie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm going to call my girlfriend tomorrow and see if she called her sister over the weekend. If not, I'll ask her to call her. The sooner I know, the better.

Apex, NC(Zone 7b)

What if you're too attached to give up the babies now?!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Well, we're definitely attached. That's why we haven't named them. I feel like if we name them, they're ours. So, for now I call them little girl and little boy. It will be really hard to see them go,,,but if it feels right when I meet this family, I'll know it's the best thing. That's why I want to find out asap,,,so I can start distancing myself from them a bit. ;o{{{{{{

Honeoye Falls, NY

I stumbled on this and didn't have time to really read through, but had some comments.

First, I have been feeding a feral kitten and a stray cat. They showed up late winter, eating birdseed off the ground under my feeders. They associate with each other but don't really travel together. The neighbors next door have a fat calico with no collar that they let run and it comes and sits under my deck and attacks both the stray and the feral now and then. I'm forever breaking up fights. And I've had visitations from raccoons and gray fox, so the food comes in and I worry about the cats being tangled up with either of those animals. Anyway, I intend to trap and take to Humane Society and/or vet's for medical checkup (lots to worry about, feline leukemia being one of them) and spaying or neutering. I may adopt the adult stray as it seems more accustomed to humans and "speaks" to me when I come out to feed it, though it is very wary of me. I'd love to scratch its ears and put some flea killer/repellant on it, but no go thus far. The feral I'll have to see what the Humane Society suggests. I suggest a medical checkup, anyway.

And I saw somewhere little soft "gloves" or caps you can put on a cat's nails (not the entire paw) if you have difficulty keeping them from scratching furniture. Some cats do and some cats don't. But they do need their claws to defend themselves. I wouldn't declaw.

My local Humane Society has a nice Web site with some info on cats. http://www.lollypop.org, and click on left menu item CATS.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Kelly, you did say that you would wait to see what happened, and would know if you were supposed to keep them. It looks like maybe they were supposed to go to someone else - and kids are the ticket, for sure.

Hope you don't miss them too much, though (smart idea not to name them!). Give Mooshka a hug for me, okay?

Carole

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Dax, that cat is absolutely gorgeous!!!! I have an 11 month old kitty who has very similar looks, but not as much white. It's hard to get a good picture of her because she is so dark - her features often don't show up.

And boy oh boy does she ever have an attitude!!!!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Murmur - Yes, she has only gotten more beautiful with age so have fun!! And that attitude is priceless - if your baby is like mine, you aren't in any doubt about who is really the boss around here, and it only grows with age. And I just go along with it because she's right. I'm just amazed at how well she is at 19. I don't think she has arthritis at all, although her hearing and sight aren't what they were 5 years ago. - Dax

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

cmccrell - Hi from someone who grew up in Fairport.

I couldn't get your link to work, but that's to Loppypop Farm isn't it? Where ae they located these days? They've moved around the Rochester area quite a bit. And do they still have a petting zoo? I think we used to take my kids occasionally when we visited my mother.

Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.