An Awesome Find in my Hosta Bed

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I went out into the oven today and decided to work in the shady part of the yard to keep from Really over heating. Started finding places for some new hostas (I know, I said I wasn't going to plant any until the new beds are in, but I just couldn't help myself. I hate seeing them in pots on the deck).

Anyway,,,Gran was over and she was standing in the front by the garden with me and we heard this little tiny meow. I looked up and saw a tiny little kitten poking it's head out of a hollow in the tree. Then I saw another one, trying to push the first one's butt up so it could get up to see out. Gran couldn't take it, she said you gotta get a ladder and get them out of there. Told her the mama would be back for them. Also said I thought they would be out of the tree today. Last year we had one in there and it was about the same size when it came out of the tree. I went in the house and got my camera out. Got some great pics of the little cuties. I figured I would hurry up and plant those hostas and get out of there so mama could come and feed them.

I was paying atention to planting and I heard a thud. Looked and the first cat was on the ground. He was fine, got up and walked around right away. I figured the second one wouldn't be far behind the first so I stood at the base where he would fall. Sure enough, the little stinker was hanging on to the tree and suddenly fell,,,caught him and put him next to his sibling. They are now *exploring* their wide new world.

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Getting a little braver,,,lol

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Exploring their big new world,,,they are just the cutest little things. Prolly about 5 or 6 weeks old.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

PLEASE DON"T TELL MY DAUGHTER, she will come out there and bring them back to NJ!!!!!

They sure are cute but don't tell DD I said that! LOL

sue

This message was edited May 28, 2006 4:06 PM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sue,
What's this daughters #,,,,lol

Gran couldn't believe it,,,I tried to talk her into taking them home,,,she said no. I really wish she would,,,she doesn't have any pets and I think they would be great for her. I would keep them but Mooshka would think they are her toys.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh Kelly.....they are so adorable. I'm glad that I don't live next door to you or I'd have them living we me and my other two fur balls by now.
That calico is to die for. Thank you so much for catching #2. Their mom would thank you, but she doesn't speak human. They must have been getting hot up in that hole. It's almost 90 here.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

The Calico is so pretty,,,,hmmm, you're the first one I thought of,,,I think Buddy and Remington need pets,,,,lol

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

OMG, why can't that happen to me instead of baby squirrels falling out.

Those are the most adorable babies (close your ears kids) they are long haired too. Oh my oh my oh my.....

I am so jealous, I can't stand it.....

What are you gonna do with them now? Where is mama? Have you seen her? What does SHE look like?

Can you tell I just can't stand it, I want them so bad. LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Remington IS Buddy's pet. One of my girlfriends thought that I was nuts the first time that I got my late Blackjack his own cat to keep him company. That would be the origin of Buddy's name.

Here they were hangin' out last night.

Buddy is the black fluffy one, and Remington is the gray.

Thumbnail by marie_
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Mama is a gray longer haired cat. She had one up there last year too,,,looked just like the tan one. Don't know if there were any more up there last year, the tan ne was the only one I saw. Took it up to the vets until the lady who takes them to a vet in another town got the o.k. from City Hall. That's what our town does with cat's,,,,take them to a vet in anoter town, he checks them out good for any diseases and then they go to the Humane Society.

I just checked on them and right now they are laying in the shad of my Euphorbia in the Front Garden.

Come and get them,,,lol,,,,they need a good home,,,, like I said,,,Mooshka has toys bigger than they are and loves to make her toys squeek. She was outside when the tan one was peeking out the hole,,,she was just beside herself,,,had to bring her in the house.

I'll be watching for Mama.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Looks like Susan needs to take a quick road trip to WI to collect two of the cutest kittens I have seen in a very long time. Nice photograpy there Kelly.

I keep saying no more cats after my two elderly ones pass but if these two were near my home I am not sure I could stay strong.

Thanks for sharing, Kelly.
Lani

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

You can hardly see Buddy in that pic,,,he blends right in.

Well, then they each need a pet now,,,,lol unless Susan can get here first,,,lol

There's nothing I can do with them. If they're still there Tuesday. I'll call city hall and see if there is someone who is taking Marylynn's place while she's gone on vacation,,,that can take them to the vet where they take the feral cat's from the city,,,then they go to the Humane Society.

Marie!!! GO GET THOSE BABIES!!!

You know you want to. You are close enough to do it.

Just say YES!!! LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sue,

Thanks,,,,I"ll be expecting Susan later tonight,,,roflol

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Here's another,,,the tan one was resting his prolly newly opened eyes,,,,,so cute

Kelly, post these on the pet forum and maybe there will be someone close enough to come get them.

They are just too preciously cute to go to the humane society. Now I realize I 'work' for our SPCA, but I also know what happens there.

However, being that they ARE preciously cute, they will get adopted quickly hopefully.

Susan
=^..^=

Kelly, you could win a prize for these pictures.

Be sure to save them for the photo contest next year.

=^..^=

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

How cute!!!! Great shots Kelly. Hope they find a great home.

Debbie

You have no idea how hard it is to get a good pic of a black cat. This was the best one that I had of the two of them.

(Not adding to my menagerie.....Buddy thought that he might just have a nervous breakdown for a month until he trusted Remington. I can't put him through that again. Plus, Remington is in remission with the Feline Leukemia Virus. I can't put another cat at risk.)

Here's a better pic of Buddy out patroling the deck.

And now.....I need to get back outside and get some work done.

Thumbnail by marie_
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Marie,

I know,,,was just teasing you,,,after Devil,,,Buddy took awhile to war up to Rem. I'm gonna go get something to eat and a movie.

bbl

Kelly.....her name was Angel.....she just acted like a she-devil.

(FYI....for everyone else....a not so sweet, yet most beautiful female lived with us for a few months. After much mental and physical injury to ourselves, Buddy and I decided that she had to go back to the shelter. Remington is her replacement....and he is an angel.)

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I remember,,,,I just call her Devil cause she was one to poor Buddy. He needed a kitty shrink after her.

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

They are cute. Was the mama still around?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Kelly,

I'd love one. DH says "No"! But they sure are cute.

Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

wood,

I just checked on them a bit ago and they are still roaming around in the garden exploring. I think Mom has prolly been back cause they aren't meowing like they're starving. The one I found last year was. I thought Mom had gotten into trouble or something. Then, I saw mom a day later. So, these 2 I just left in the bed so she would find them.

Ann,
Give DH those big pouty eyes,,,he'll cave,,,If it will help, I'll try to ge close ups of each of them so you can show him,,,,lol

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Here's a good excuse to have a cat, or three in my case. They keep the ground moles out of your garden! :~)
Mine do anyway and since Mom's cat came to live with me Mom has been fighting ground moles which she never had before. I don't have any in my gardens but have occasional little dead bodies on the porch.
Lana

Logansport, IN(Zone 5a)

How PRECIOUS!!!!!
Lisa

Aurora, IL(Zone 5b)

They are adorable! I love the tan one. I keep saying after mine are gone I will never have another one, but after seeing that tan one......

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

What adorable little kitties!!!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I never had a cat until just before Christmas. Now when I am outside she is always within a few feet of me. We had a lot of trouble with a big ferrel cat that attact her a few times. If you know about them, you know thay are not pets they are wild animals. I have put him in the crosshairs of the scope twice and was not able to pull the trigger. The other day I was in the back bedroom early in the morning and seen him drop off a retaining wall and slink down to the back of the house and lay down on the ground around the corner where Gilly comes off the porch at. I got the gun and went out there and he spooked. He ran into the next yard about 75 ft away and stopped and turned towards me. That time I did not give him a break. I do not like it that I had to do it and I do not like how it played out. BUT it was either him are let him tear her up. She is a little cat just barely 7 lbs and he was going to either make her leave his territory are kill her.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,

I would have done the same thing. It would have only caused trouble. I'm not for that,,,but in this case I do think it was necessary

BTW,
We did kitten rescue this morning. The little calico stinker explored too far and ended up in te storm drain. Bill woke me up with Honey, we have to do kitten rescue. It took him about 1/2 an hour, but he finally got it out. Both kittens are now in a box with 2 towels in the house. Bill got his hands on some kitten milk replacer. I fed them and they were both really hungry.

Anyone know how much and how often to feed them?

Thanks,
Kelly

Oz, you have to protect your own. Wish the big guy had chosen someplace else for his territory.

I totally support you in what you had to do.

Susan
=^..^=

Apex, NC(Zone 7b)

Awwwwwww Kelly,

I wish I could take them - they are absolutely precious! My 3 cats would not take well to another cat in the house. When we got the youngest (who is now 5) she wreaked havoc on our house and freaked out the older girls for a long, long time.

Here in North Carolina they often have cat and dog adoptions at PetSmart. Yesterday a group called Friends of Feral Felines was the sponsor for a kitty adoption. http://www.friendsofferalfelines.org/links_main.htm

The cats that were there weren't feral cats at all, so I'm not sure about the name of the organization. They had some sweet kitties for adoption - a couple of kittens and the rest were older cats that the owners had to give up and were living in foster homes at the moment.

Maybe you should contact PetSmart if there is one in your area and they could give you the name of a similar organization that could find the kittens a home.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
~Angie

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I was outside taking pics this morning and clicked this one when my poodle, Annie, went under a hosta for shade and peeked out to watch me. I thought of this thread and the kitties peeking out. When I got her in Feb Annie was afraid of the outside having lived in a cage and used for breeding. Now she loves it outside and enjoys exploring.
Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Dallas, TX

KELLY I copied that pic its spectacular! ...and you are getting attached! lol This is same way I ended up with Sara, next thing I knew I had spent 300.00 on her.

What exactly is a feral cat?

edit...sorry Susan I was not talking to you. :)

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 8:16 PM

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Angie,
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Lana,
Aw, cute pic of Annie. How sad to be in a cage all the time and only used for breeding. I'd like to,,,,,,,,,

Sylvia,
Sara is a beauty. Feral cats are wild cats.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I love the little blond one. I have had kittens and cats as long as I can remember. I grew up on a farm and we always had kittens in the hayloft.

If you don't want them, I am sure someone will want to adopt them. I am down to only one now. A grey tabby named Ivy.
Teresa

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Adorable! I want them. Good thing I live far away.

Wish I hadn't seen those pics. Now I'll have kittens on the brain.

Gwen

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

They have been fed again and are eating really well. Actually, they are quite the little piggies,,,but it's so nice to feel their full bellies. Bill keeps telling me, "Don't get too attached",,,,,well,,,,guess who's sitting in his chair holding them both wrapped in a dish towel. The male is snoozing now that he has a full tummy. (Figures huh???? LOL) The female is just looking around. Mooshka isn't paying too much attention to them anymore.

They are both gorgeous and I'm feeling attached to them already. Those little eyes looking at me makes my heart melt. But, I don't think Mooshka would treat them very well. I'm afraid we'd have to bury them and I certianly don't want that. She already grabbed one off the table,,,thank God it wasn't hurt. But, I'm sure she was scarred to death. She's the one that was in the storm drain this morning that Bill rescued. Such happenings in such a young life.

I'm a bit concerned, I still have not been able to get them to urinate. At least that I've seen.

Kelly

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Would ya just look at those faces

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.