Rubus parviflorus (Thimble Berry).

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

This has always been a favorite woodland plant of mine. My grandmother had a beautiful clump of it on the north side of her house. However, it seems that just about no-one uses it in the landscape. I wonder why?

Thumbnail by willmetge
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by willmetge
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by willmetge
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by willmetge
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here it is used at the edge of a park, but is part of the natural forest beyond. I'm guessing it wasn't intentionally planted. The Thimble Berry my grandmother had was in no way aggressive. Has anyone had any experience on the contrary?

Thumbnail by willmetge
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

I found this plant near Elizabethtown in the Adirondack Mountains (a couple of years ago or 10)... I never saw it when I was growing up in the Adks... it seems that plant communities are/were shifting around there -- or maybe I just wasn't that observant when I was young!

I *loved* the plant: leaves of a maple, flower of a [small] wild rose, fruit of a raspberry (ok, somewhat blander, but as far as looks go!). If I lived or had a camp (AKA second home, summer home) back there, I'd do everything I could to encourage them!

I don't have answer to your question, but thought I would pop in and let you know someone did read your thread, and agree with you!
~'spin!~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.