Open Garden You are all Welcome!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Nice groups coming and going all day. Jamlover brought 3 friends with her to look and stay awhile. Lilyfan & her hubby drove up from Humeston so we could talk iris. Alwaysweeding & Poho stopped over to drop off the dragon I bought yesterday & take photos. hiddenvalley (Dick & Jan) were here for a nice visit. And about 20 other neighbors & friends/relatives of neighbors have come by. Bottles of Ice cold water and chairs under the trees has been a nice treat in this 90+ weather.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, I think I'm coming tomorrow and bringing some friends. An iris display like you have is not be be missed in a regular year, let alone a year like you are having this year! ;)

I told them we should go early so as not to melt in the sun. ;)

Diann

Come early. I have iced water and lots of shade under the trees. No one has wanted ot go into the airconditioning and miss time in the garden!

Come to think of it, the daughter even filled a big kids pool in the back yar. Bring your suits! LOL

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I think I'll probably pass on the pool. ;) See ya tomorrow!

Diann

Delhi, IA

Wanda's yard and iris beds are breath-taking. I've never seen so many iris in such a beautiful array of colors. So placed to accent this color or that___whooooow____wish you all could have been there this pm. 3 friends and I made it an outing and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Thanks for having us, Wanda. Her lucky neighbors to have all that beauty right next door.

jamlover--your friends were delightful! Thank you for braving the heat .
DG is a fun place, isn't it?

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

DH and I had a wonderful time at Wanda's! I think he fell in love with about 20 iris...................I can see work in my future! I think I will have to enlarge something........our yard is a bit smaller than Wanda's! It was such a pleasure to see poho and alwaysweeding as well as hiddenvalley who had come visiting on Thursday; and to meet jamlover and her friends!

Thank You Wanda for another breath-taking view of your garden.......it made the 7 hours drive time seem inconsequential.

A seven hour drive is NEVER inconsequential. It was so good to see you & Ted again. As to your"want" list---I'm sure we can come up with a trade that works. Anything to make Ted happy & you do more work... :) More visitors & more heat today. Surprising how well the iris are holding up at 90+

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok, I just got back from Wanda's open house and if you live in the area and you've not gone yet, you have 45 minutes to get there! Go, it's really amazing. I'm going to post some pictures I took while there. Thank you Wanda for being such a sweetheart and opening up your beautiful gardens. This is the front of Wanda's house..

Diann

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Other side of the front....

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Now, the show begins in earnest...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

and more

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

and more...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

and more..

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok, so now that you have an idea of the scope of her iris gardens, we'll go for some of the creatures that live in the garden..... I think this is her newest member...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Next her Griffin. I couldn't decide what I wanted to photograph more, the Griffin or the iris... ;)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

The Scottish contingent -- The Loch Ness Monster, albeit a pretty tame monster by monster standards....

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

And now for some close-ups of some her her wonderful iris...

Wanda will have to tell you the names, tho...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

more..

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm, I can't seem to get the computer to up-load any more photos....

I'll try in a bit..

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Now, more....

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

more...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

More.. This iris caught my eye... ;)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

And so did this one...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

and more.... I like the almost black ones.... :)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok, I've got to go mow some lawn, but I have a bunch more to post when I get done. Thank you Wanda for being such a sweetie... :)

Diann

Thumbnail by Ticker
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, sounds like you all had a great time! Thanks for the pictures, I'm looking forward to more.

Wanda your iris and gardens are gorgeous. Is the gold iris with red flecks Hot Dogs and Mustard?

Sandy

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok Kids, hang on, cause here we go again...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

some more....

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

This is a nice one.... Who am I kidding, they are all nice ones... :)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Another lovely group of iris....

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I hope you all realize that I'm only getting a small percentage of Wanda's iris.... What I have shown here is just a smattering of the iris she has...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Another lovely blue.... (do you call them bi-tones, Wanda?)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Just a few more... Another nice iris grouping..

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Working our way towards the end.....

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Still a few more to go...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

This is the last single shot..

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

This very last one is for Wanda. She was showing me the beauty of the interior of this particular iris..

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I hope you've enjoyed these pictures as much as we enjoyed Wanda's garden and hospitality. Thank you Wanda for letting us come and soak in your colors for a bit this afternoon. :) Oh yeah, there was something there for everyone!! :) This is my eight year old Grand-niece.. She's my sweetie. She particularly liked Wanda's hammock.

This message was edited May 29, 2006 8:28 PM

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks fTicker! Between your photos and Wanda's, I almost feel like I got to go on the tour. Too bad I had to work. Don't you think part of the reason we love Iris so much is that they only bloom for such a short time? I don't know if we would appreciate them as much if they went on all season. Can't wait to see what next season brings.

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.