Open Garden You are all Welcome!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My 250+ Tall Bearded Iris are almost all open with thousands of blooms! All iris are marked with name, breeder & year. Come see them this weekend May 28 & May 29 from 10 am to 4 pm. I've got colors you've never seen and old favorites. Several local DGers have been over in the past few weeks--how about you?

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Come and make a list of your favorites. Garden visitors get first "dibs" on roots when I split them in July. The late frost and lost blooms of last year have translated into huge clumps & blooms THIS year.

Linda_IA, Alwaysweeding, Poho and other friends have made their lists. Even my daughter's boyfriend has picked out his favorites--boy seems to have a thing for brilliant multicolors & historics.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Can't come in person Wanda - But sure wish I could. The photo is fabulous though!

I have 6-20 foot deep beds all around the house and yard line. hard to capture it all in a pciture or two. And more are opeing daily. I'll try to get some better group shots. Just hard to do with so many blooming all at once...

I have never seen it bloom so heavily. Good fall, cool spring? Just enough rain? Making up to me for last year? I don't know. I only know it is breathtaking.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Mine are just beginning to bloom ;-)

I'm getting 10-20 new colors popping open daily. Peak blooms should be this weekend or next week. Some of the shapes & colors are far different than I dreamed when I planted them 4 years ago...

I'm digging up a few clumps that are duplicates. If they are done blooming in time

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh I really wish I lived closer, I would be there in a heartbeat-your gardens are incredibly beautiful.

Sandy

This message was edited May 24, 2006 9:26 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wanda, a beautiful garden! Obviously well deserved after a lot of hard work. I can't come see it in person, but I enjoy the pictures, and can almost smell it. Polly

My tall bearded take 2-3 years to bloom from a new root. The Mother root than dies or has babies that take 2-3 years to bloom. I have large clumps, but there are years when the clumps barely bloom at all.

I think the freeze-kill I had last spring forced many of the plants to delay blooming 2005, but increase root production. THIS YEAR, I am getting 2 years' worth of blooms! I'm knocked out by the color. I just want to share this rare event.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow...sure wish I lived closer. Sandy took the words right out of my mouth, if you were closer "I'd be there in a heartbeat".

Ever thought of making an online catalog/store, so people that can't make it to your house, could still acquire(buy) your extras?

I don't sell. I've got a crew of 6 friends already eager to get at my extra roots. they get first choice since they will be helping with the digging and labeling. Wish lists were getting pretty loooong last night. :) I'll have plenty extra for trades & giveaways too in July.

Visitors to my gardens get first dibs on extras, but I'll put a notice up in this forum when I'm ready to mail to DGers.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you! I'll definitely be watching for it...
:0)
-Taylor

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Wanda - drool everywhere... wish I could make that a road trip... WOW... would love to trade or what ever need be to have some of your lovly babies... ohhh my... Mitch

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

WOW! Wish I could come too.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda does have some of the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen. The neat part is that they always look so clean and tidy. She's just got a knack for it. :)

Diann

Or mildly obsessed.

Ticker, are you going to make it over? I don't expect to see blooms like this for years--just fortunate circumstances & perfect weather....

If you live anywhere near Cedar Rapids, you have to see Wanda's gardens! They are just beautiful and she is so willing to share her knowledge about iris. Incredible!

We were there last night for over 2 1/2 hours just ooohhhing and aahhhhing and taking it all in. Each time you went around you found something new and interesting.

Thank you, Wanda, for letting us enjoy!

Judi

Judi has iris envy, but not for long. You should see her "wish list" ! :)

Hi - got here late - a busy week, but I've got to underline everything everybody's been saying about both Wanda and her gardens! Hey, Wanda, count me in on the work crew when you get ready. I'll see ya tomorrow - Dax

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

OHHHHHHH Wanda,
Your gardens have always been special but what a SPECTACULAR :-) garden you have this year with all these irises blooming .
Oh my goodness wouldn't I love to tour it.Have fun.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, I'll try, but as per my usual, I can't be sure I'll get anywhere. Dan and I have rented a sod cutter and a stump grinder for this weekend and so.. But I'll see if I can't skin over. I must take some photos of your garden. :)

Diann

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wanda...soooooo beautiful!! Echoing what others have said...I would be there in a heartbeat if I could!!
I have quite a few iris myself. Would you share as to how you label? Mine all need to be separated..but some colors are mixed with others. I need to label them
Thanks....Marcy

Des Moines, IA

Wanda We should be there late Sunday morning can hardly wait we visited llilyfans garden this week and now we will get to see your flowers.Dick

I am labeling with a P touch label (industrial strength) on a metal garden stake. all my iris are clumps seperated by other perennials like my daylilies. ( I KNOW you can;'t see them, but the iris are just overpowering!)

Dick, love to have you come! Got your letter & I can only identify ONE iris. Sorry. Thousands registered & I only grow 327 different beardeds.

I taleked with Tazzy about what my gardens are doing. She says this is a rare event when so many TBs decide to bloom heavily all in one year> I had few last year and probably will have few next year...

This is the sign I put out in the yard for the public. Not many iris in my shady North facing front yard...

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Wanda, I wish I was coming down there with my Mom and Sister this weekend. I've had some health problems and can't travel or I'd be there to see those beautiful gardens of yours. I know when I was there last summer the daylilies were beautiful to see. I know that your pictures are great but I'm sure they don't do justice to what a wonderful sight everyone around you is having. It just must be breath taking.

Nancy

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Wanda for the info.

Orange, TX(Zone 9a)

Just beautiful! We are replanting our 1 acre yard. Lost our beautiful shade trees as a result of hurricane Rita and are now planting things that can take sun in our hot humid climate. I am really considering some beautiful bearded iris.

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Wanda,

I just gave your address to my Sister, so I'm hoping they make it over there to see this wonderful site. Enjoy your day of showing off those beautiful Irises.

Nancy

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh I wish so wish, Wanda, there is nothing like visiting a beautiful garden of a fellow DGer. Looks great, tell me what do you do for weed control, hoe or spray or both?

I mulch around the iris clumps, but not too close. No hoeing or spraying. Only leaves a few weeds to pull. These are MIXED gardens--lots of daylilies , lilies & other perennials in them too.

Delhi, IA

Wanda, I'm at Delhi. What's your address? Jean

Got your add. from the exchange. and we are all set.

This message was edited May 27, 2006 9:07 PM

jamlover, come on over!

Nancy, your Mom & sister stopped by yesterday while I was in Dubuque with some DG friends:

Arboretum--- http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/607746/

Statue hunting: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/607740/

Oops! Got to get out & deadhead so I'm not embarrassed by my garden!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nessie should be one proud sea monster! She lives in a fantastic garden. Great photos. Hard to believe so much color all at once. Hope you get lots of visitors.

Susan

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh I'm sorry they missed you. I know my Mom would have loved talking with you. She loves Irises, not that she knows anything about plants she always says she had a black thumb and believe me she does on some things. She loves flowers though so I try to make sure something is blooming around her house all season. She doe know when to water and we have soaker hoses set so she just has to turn on the water. She will be 87 in August.

Thanks Wanda.

Nancy

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Dear Wanda:

When the flowers begin to fade, do you deadhead every day? When the irises enter dormancy, do you cut them all back?

I deadhead every day to keep the energy of the plants focused on new blooms, not making seed. Seed does not grow true from iris and I'm not a hybridzer.

I cut each stalk as it finishes blooming and trim dead/ugly leaves all summer. If I have a wet summer, I cut the leaves down to 12 inches so more sun can get to the roots. In July, a DG crew will be thinning my clumps & helping me move a few that are too tall/too short/or wrong color for their area.

I leave the leaves on all winter to help my leaf mulch stay in place. I uncover & trim the rhyzomes clean in early April , before 70 degrees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.