Meyer Lemon Tree question

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I acquired this plant a few months ago and love it. I recently moved it to another location (it is in a container) and pretty much have left it alone. I water it once I notice that it has dried out and then give it a good deep watering. It seems to have responded really well to this and I have nothing but great things to say about this tree. I have noticed though that the branches look kinda "scarred." I was wondering if this is normal or if this is something that I need to treat? I am referring to the white splotches that are on the branches. I was thinking that it might be scale or that it might just be what it is supposed to look like if it is a grafted tree. Any ideas what this is, is it normal or should I be concerned?

Thumbnail by ms_merae
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

The white on the twigs could be mealy bugs. Use a magnifying glass to take a closer look. You should be able to see the bug shape under that white fluff. It could also be powdery mildew. Are you able to rub the splotches off?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

bettydee-- thanks so much for responding! I was hoping you would see my thread and post your ideas/thoughts. You had answered my first post about the tree when I first got it and I remember you saying you loved the Meyer Lemon. Again, thanks.

I don't think that they can be rubbed off. I almost want to say it is almost a "scar with white edges". I will get a magnifying glass and see if it is a bug, indeed. I hope not. I will take a look and post back with an update. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.