Flowers in May

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone.
It's always enjoyable to look your alpines on this forum. These are some flowers from my garden in May.
Trillium grandiflorum

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Linaria (unknown species )

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Edelwaiss

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Aquilegia (unknown species )

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Pinellia cordata
Smells like chewing gum:)

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Geranium oxonianum

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

These are not alpines though....
Bletilla striata

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Calanthe

Thumbnail by goldenfish
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

A nice selection of plants there! I have the double trillium grandiflorum - it is a real treasure.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Pinellia is a new plant to me....very unique!

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hi Galanthophile,

T.grandiflorum is my favorite too. Ex inhabitant of our house left this lovely plant and when I found it I was sooo happy:) I want to increase number of flower more though, when should I transplant it?

Hi Todd,
I'm always staring rapt at your wonderful alpine plant collections! Thank you for viewing!

(Zone 4a)

Perhaps the Aquilegia is A. brevistyla?

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Goldenfish - I have moved my double trillium a few times - if it wasn't happy I was so afraid to lose it I moved it. It seems better now that it has more light. I would move yours when it is dormant - maybe mid summer to early autumn when all the foliage has died down. Good luck!

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hi taramark,
I think A. brevistyla is more tinged with blue than mine. I think it might be a subspecies of Aquilegia flabellata var. pumila but I couldn't identify waht variety it is. Aquilegia is easy to intercross so very difficult to identify, right?

Galanthophile,
Thank you for your suggestion! I'll try to transplant it in bigger pot than now. I can't wait to see it in next spring.

somewhere, PA

They are all lovely! I've got the regular trillium grandiflorum and love them but that
double is a must-have!!! And the geraminum has just a wonderful filliagreed coloration.

Here's my rock garden - several lewisia & geranium varieties are blooming. The dianthus,
a little daphne, silene and aster alpina are in bloom too

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 7:27 AM

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Daphne Jasminea in bloom

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Geranium nana (far left), Aster Alpina (blue flowers), Lewisia cotelyton,
allium (white flowers - not sure species) and dianthus (far right).

Thumbnail by Tammy
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Tammy,
Thank you for your lovely rock garden photo. Your clumpy Geranium is great! Hardy geraniums don't grow like yours in here. Too hot and humid for them:( Your Daphne Jasminea is also very cute! Rainy season is just around the corner in here. The most tough time for my alpines! I killed my Lewisia in last summer. I did something cruel! Should I grow tropicals? But I love alpines:) I also love toropicals though...!!

(Zone 4a)

Oooo,. Tammy!

Beautiful settings and plants.

What a great rock wall you have!

Corinne

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Tammy, thanks so much for the pix. Your garden is beautiful. I'm at stage 1 for my rock garden and collecting ideas. We're in the same zone, but you have this lovely rock wall and mine will be in a very exposed area. I'm going to try to create some protected pockets with the rocks so I can put in more varieties of plants.

Goldenfish, I especially love the trillium. And I've been wanting to put in edelweiss ever since the rockerie was just a dream.

so far I have planted 1 semp (Ruby Heart), but it's a start. I know it's not an alpine, but it's all I have at the moment. it's actually just outside of the bounds of the rock garden. I'm reserving the rockerie for alpines & related plants.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2006 6:49 AM

Thumbnail by grampapa
somewhere, PA

grampapa - I also have exposed rockeries. Here's a picture that includes my
pink garden, which is my play area. I've grown a variety of different annuals there
and am now letting the plants I like self-seed (soapwort, penstomen hirsutus &
neremberia primarily). But in front of the sea of pink you can see my little rockery.

I have my first Edrainthus Pumilio in there last year. Its got beautiful blue flowers!

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I love it! A beautiful shade of blue. What's the dark green plant on the far right? Your sculpture must be quite a conversation piece.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Looking good Tammy!

That Daphne jasminea is looking very happy.

somewhere, PA

Grampapa - are you seeing the Chamaecyparis? Its a little dwarf hinoki cypress (common name).
I have almost no evergreens on my property but this is one of them.

Thanks Todd!

Tam

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Tam, I thought that's what it looked like. It's a nice touch in that corner. I'm shopping for a chamaecyparis for my heather garden. Haven't decided on a variety yet.

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hi grampapa,
Your Ruby Heart's color shade is lovely. You can glow Edelweiss from seed very easily. You've got to try! Good luck on your rock garden!

Tam,
I've never seen Edrainthus Pumilio before. It's a breathtaking view of the plants which coverd with many many flowers!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, goldenfish. I bought an 'Iceberg' too when I got the 'Ruby Heart', but haven't planted it yet. It took me forever to pick out just 2. I have the edelweiss seeds. I intended to start them over the winter, but I wasn't well, so it will have to wait for next year. But there's LOTS of other things I can plant in the meantime.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Goldenfish, you always have the most interesting plants. I love the Calanthe. I don't remember ever seeing that one before.

Tammy, I love your pink garden. It's so full of beautiful blooms. My Edraianthus pumilio bloomed so nicely last year, but this year it hasn't done a thing yet. Is that a current photo? I had assumed mine would bloom later on, but maybe not.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2006 10:30 PM

somewhere, PA

Hi wonderful to see you here again Zuzu! Yes - those pic's were posted w/in a week of the
day I took them. The Edrainthus looks like its just about done now. Maybe one more bloom left
to go.

Tam

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

Wow, I've been away for a while and missed alot of great posts. There are some great looking blooms here.

Goldenfish my Edelweis are just starting to bloom. I also love the Bletilla and Calanthe, very pretty.

Tammy, your garden looks so lush and green. I've been trying to grow Edrainthus for a couple of years now and still no success. I love the color of their blossoms. Just one of the many plants from seed that insist on being difficult for me.

somewhere, PA

Good to see you Ally!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.