The Irises of Shadowood Part Deux

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A very interesting color combination with nice contrast in the fall spot. It does, however, have very narrow form and virtually no substance.

Allah, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Seems like this iris is a reliable bloomer for everyone ... everyone except me, that is. I've been growing it for what seems like forever with nary a bloom until today. I even gave a chunk of it to a neighbor years ago for whom it bloomed the very next spring! I'm glad I have finally gotten to see him in person.

Jesse's Song, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Holidaze, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A classic historic that also happened to be the 1950 Dykes Medal winner.

Blue Rhythm, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Nice fleshy pink color. This one should look lovely in a mature clump.

Muse, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one has long, skinny falls that are a challenge to make look balanced in a photo. Tried lots of different angles with this one.

Rabbit's Foot, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one REALLY knows how to play with the light to magnificant effect! It's easy to see how this one earned its award.

Blackcurrant, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one is an absolute delight with her pure white petals accented with perfectly placed, dark purple haft stripes. Elegantly domed standards finish the flower with classic style. She's a treasure.

Unfortunately, there is some question about her accurate identity. She came from the Presby Memorial Gardens in NJ which is working diligently to try to restore the proper names to their historic collection after a period of unfortunate management of the gardens. The HIPS ID Chairman, Phil Edinger, has been working with Presby in this endeavor, but he is reportedly unconvinced that this particular iris is who she claims to be.

Innocenza, TB ... maybe

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Always a sucker for a spot pattern, and esp. those involving a unique combination of colors. I knew I'd like this one. I wasn't wrong.

Zing Me, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Nut Ruffles, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one has wonderful ruffling, but the unevenness of this particular bloom is probably due to the two very late freezes of last week.

Ballet Lesson, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one is having a hard time developing its flowers properly after those two late frosts. This is the best bloom so far, but I know it'll be able to do better in the future.

Sherbet Lemon, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I didn't realize this one was going to be a spaceager. It's registered with spoons, but the most it can manage on this first flower is small horns.

Hula Hands, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Nice color. Nice flower.

Vintage Press, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Last one for tonight. This one definitely suffered from the late frosts. The crepe paper texture and malformed petals are dead giveaways. I hope a later bloom on the stalk will look more normal, but I'm not holding my breath. It looks like there are a couple of blasted buds below this flower.

Lunar Frost, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another absolutely wonderful set of newbies opened here yesterday. I can hardly wait to get out there and see what awaits me this morning, but I thought I'd share these with you first (and give the mosquitos a chance to settle down a bit).

This first one was a gift from a friend here (as are many of the others I've posted). I nearly overlooked it yesterday amid the explosion of bloom in my beds. What a shame that would have been! I don't know when I've seen a more perfectly formed flower or one with such understated, exquisite beauty. This one defines "blue pink", as you can clearly see both colors in the bloom (in person, anyway). I can't wait for this clump to mature.

Londonderry, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I have a long history with this next cv. I received it twice as the same mislabeled blue SDB, then was given the incorrect name when I requested its accurate ID from the grower from whom I acquired it. So it's been growing here nameless for years. Then last year, Wanda generously sent me a piece of the one pictured here, but SHE sent it to me correctly labeled! THANK YOU, WANDA! Now I FINALLY know who this iris really is that I've been growing for years as 'NOT Chicory Charm'!

Chickee, MTB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one was sent to me by another friend as the TB, Suky, which it is not. Fortunately, my friend was able to correct the identification as the TB growing right next to Suky in his garden. And so, this handsome fellow is ...

Dashing, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This is one of Keppel's very early introductions (1962), and after seeing it open here yesterday, arguably one of his most beautiful. I am blown away by this iris.

Humoresque, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The classic tailored form of the old historics will forever remain THE iris standard in my mind's eye.

Lord of June, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This message was edited May 31, 2006 7:53 AM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This lovely lady looks quite pink standing near her lordly companion in the last pic.

Thais, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

In keeping with the last few historics, here is one whose identity I must question. The registration designation is R1M, which translates to blue-toned medium red self. Laetitia, if you're looking, has this one been confirmed by Phil Edinger?

Gov. Hughes, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another old historic. I am enchanted by the subtle veining on this one.

Khedive, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Back to more modern irises now.

Alentejo, IB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I had pretty much given up hope of EVER seeing this one bloom. I've been growing it since 1999 with no bloom and almost no increase. It's surely a testament to just how incredible this bloom season is being. Now that I've made her acquaintance, I'm not sorry I kept her around. She's amazingly lovely.

Autumn Tryst, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one's not shy about strutting his stuff, and he certainly won't be lost in a crowd!

Cayenne Capers, TB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I've had several false starts with this one. I can't remember exactly how many times I've tried to bloom this baby ... maybe twice before ... but he's died each time. Then last year he FINALLY bloomed, but he wasn't himself! He was someone else! LOL! Now I've got him, though, in the flesh (or in the BC pink, as the case may be).

Baboon Bottom, BB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

And finally, my first Sib of the season!!!

Floating Candles, Sib

Thumbnail by laurief
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I've got buds, but MN wins!

Spoke too soon. I went out to look later and I have my first Floating Candles blooming, too.

Thumbnail by boojum

Barbara Schmieder is open and I know the real Barbara well. She is a wonderful lady.

Thumbnail by boojum

China Spring has gone wild.

Thumbnail by boojum
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

laurief, you have the most fantastic collection of little Iris. You're really getting me hooked on the SBD's. I loved mine that bloomed this year and can't wait to see the rest I got from you bloom for the first time. They all look like they have been painted with a paint brush.

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.