My greatest Fern Find.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

For the past 40 years my home has been a small farm in Nashville. We are about to be surrounded with subdivisions but a few of us are true "Hold Outs"

Years before we moved here the previous owners had dumped trash on the back of the property. It was long ago covered with dirt but occasionally the rain will uncover a treasure form the past. About 5 years ago my daughter and I were walking through the woods on the back of our farm and found an OLD (at least 50 years old) one gallon glass jug. The years had washed dirt into the jug and it was partially filled with moss and a beautiful little fern. We brought the beautiful jug to the house and set it in on a table in the LR. The next day the little fern looked wilted and the next day the fern looked worse. Daughter and I decided the fern needed the natural life that it had in the woods. We took it back to the spot where we found it, carefully put it back in the leaves and left it. We went back a week later and the fern was growing again. I went back a year later and the fern was gone, but there were other little plants growing in the Old Jug. I haven't been to check on it in a long time. Tomorrow might be a good day to go back.

I am a True Fern Lover and have Lots of ferns. I will share pictures later.

This is one of my favorite old ferns.

This message was edited May 23, 2006 9:55 PM

Thumbnail by picabo
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

What a neat story! Wonder where the little fern went? When you go back please take your camera.

I love your favorite fern...does it have a name? Most of mine are nameless orphans.
Pati

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You do have a lot of beautiful ferns. And that one is a stunner. I hope that your fern in the glass bottle found a really good home.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Great story picabo!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love your ferns. I don't have any yet but will get some in the future to plant around the trees.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone. I have had house guest for the past few days and haven't been able to walk into the woods to check on the old jug where the wild fern was growing. I should be able to get there on Monday after the guest leave.

The fern in the picture is the 'Kangaroo Paw' Microsorium diversifolium.
It is about 8 years old and about four feet across.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I have just ordered a few,,,can't wait to get them,,,,I so hope they are clumpers,,,if they are spreaders,,,they're outta here,,,lol

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Mine are in hanging baskets since thay are not winter hardy here. They do send "Arms" around the basket (Part of their charm) In the semi-tropical areas of the United States and Central America it performs well as a ground cover. As a ground cover it will restrict itself to a shady area under trees and shrubs it doesn't do well in the sun. It makes a thick, lush bed

Edited because I can't spell.

This message was edited May 28, 2006 7:18 PM

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Be sure that 'outta here' means DOWN to Oklahoma.....

Susan
=^..^=

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am not gonna be able to hold out much longer on the ferns. Too many good pics on this forum. I am gonna have to run to a nursery an buy a bunch then figure out where to plant them after I buy them. Does any one have ugly ferns?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan,

You got it,,,you have a couple areas that you could just let them go wherever they want. If they're outta here,,,they will be in your mailbox.

Garden Geek, The only fern that I have that's a sure clumper is a Leatherleaf Fern. Pretty little thing, grows up into a nice round shape.
Pati

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

In talking to a friend last night she is thinning out some ferns and bringing them over today. I wonder what I will get?

OOOOH, aren't you lucky!! Pictures please.
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ms. Pati......

What are you doing here.????? Why aren't you on the coleus forum???? Are you a traitor....????

Pretty, huh?

Hap

I think I have your fern, picabo, and never new it's name. I will post it later and please let me know. Thanks

Hap

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hap...
I will be watching for pics.

If it ever quits raining I have some more ferns to make pics of. Still haven't made it into the woods to find the old Jug. I will for sure take a camera on that walk.

Betty

BUSTED!!!!!!! Well Hap, this is my secret vice. I love my ferns and all things "frondy", ferns, palms, grasses, etc. Why did I not know that you had ferns too, huh?
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I love ferns too. I have a patch of wild ones next to my front door which I love. I say they are wild, cuz I didn't plant them. In fact, a handy man pulled them all out and now they are all back. LOL

Hap

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's mine....Think it's the same one?

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Beautiful Hap! That looks a little like my Japanese Holly fern that left with hurricane Francis.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Is that what it is, Pati?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

That does look like mine...Only thing, yours is soooo pretty. I need to send mine to you. LOL

My pic was made in the greenhouse this winter. It is looking a little better now that it has got to move outside.

Plano, TX

Here is my kangaroo paw in my sunroom :)
M

Thumbnail by mrao77

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.