Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses: My greatest Fern Find., 1 by picabo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright picabo

Subject: My greatest Fern Find.

Forum: Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My greatest Fern Find.
picabo wrote:
For the past 40 years my home has been a small farm in Nashville. We are about to be surrounded with subdivisions but a few of us are true "Hold Outs"

Years before we moved here the previous owners had dumped trash on the back of the property. It was long ago covered with dirt but occasionally the rain will uncover a treasure form the past. About 5 years ago my daughter and I were walking through the woods on the back of our farm and found an OLD (at least 50 years old) one gallon glass jug. The years had washed dirt into the jug and it was partially filled with moss and a beautiful little fern. We brought the beautiful jug to the house and set it in on a table in the LR. The next day the little fern looked wilted and the next day the fern looked worse. Daughter and I decided the fern needed the natural life that it had in the woods. We took it back to the spot where we found it, carefully put it back in the leaves and left it. We went back a week later and the fern was growing again. I went back a year later and the fern was gone, but there were other little plants growing in the Old Jug. I haven't been to check on it in a long time. Tomorrow might be a good day to go back.

I am a True Fern Lover and have Lots of ferns. I will share pictures later.

This is one of my favorite old ferns.

This message was edited May 23, 2006 9:55 PM