Cassia Bicapsularis- Worley's?

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I have 2 Cassia bicapsularis, one the bright yellow, the other pale yellow. I think I may have read somewhere that the pale yellow won't come true from seed. Anyone know? These were given to me years ago and were probably seedlings, are they variable? Only reference I find to the pale yellow is "Worley's"
Would appreciate any info before trying the pale yellow from seed. Thanks
Sherry

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Would like to know also; my darker one is from seed I planted myself the lighter one is one that I purchased. Anybody?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Could your pale yellow one be 'Worley's Butter Cream'? If so it's a hybrid and will not likely come true from seed, but you should be able to do cuttings if you want more plants.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/96132/index.html

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

ecrane3,
Thanks, Worley's is the only thing I can match up to pale yellow, but I don't know if there may be other "chance" seedlings popping up pale yellow, if anyone has had this experience. In any case, you're right, if I want the pale yellow I'll probably do cuttings. They look really good blended together, the bright yellow and alternating pale yellow as an informal hedge. Perhaps I'll try the seeds also to see what happens.....BTW, we lived in Martinez about 30 years ago, and I really loved it there. I saw one of your earlier posts about giving your plants away when moving and your collection reminded me so much of myself that I had to laugh!
Sherry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I love Martinez too, unfortunately the commute has gotten too much for me, so I'm moving a bit farther south to get closer to work. I'm really going to miss my garden though--I did save my favorite potted tropicals to take with me, but I have a lot of stuff in my garden that I absolutely love and I worked really hard to take it from a mess of rocks and ivy to an actual garden! And unfortunately I have yet to successfully get a cutting to root, so I guess I'm going to have to buy it all again (the house I'm buying has grass and a couple small trees/shrubs here and there, but no real garden to speak of, so if only I had money I could have a lot of fun!)

On your pale yellow Cassia, there's no harm in trying some seeds, some of them may turn out to be close to the color you want, it's just there's no guarantee of what they'll look like so if you want to be sure they'll look the same, cuttings are much more reliable!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

hi ecrane3,
Yes, I know, everytime I think we're going to move again I go nuts propagating and dividing so that I'm not starting from scratch. I've spent a long time acquiring what I have here and if we leave probably won't be able to afford as much. When we moved from Martinez we bought a house in Pacheco and from there went to Washington; my husband bought and rebuilt a 2-ton flatbed to take all my plants with me.. I wouldn't do that again, we took large things, but I would make sure to take small. We are once again thinking of leaving the state, so I got busy propagating and now I have a lot of stuff in the way. Too bad you're not down here, we have a large RU coming up and you could acquire a lot of new things for your new garden...the up side is that it really is fun doing a new garden, having a project to work on. And a shorter drive makes your life SO much easier. Maybe some of the Dave's members up there have some of the same plants you're losing, we know gardeners love to share.
What plants are you losing that you'll have to replace?
Hoping for the best for your cuttings, Sherry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I did pull out a few of my absolute favorites that I thought would be hard to replace before I put the house on the market, but I really need to figure out a design for my new garden before I plant much of anything (my current garden is more of a plant collection than a garden and I'd like the next one to have more of a plan), and I've promised myself that I'm not going to plant anything until the fall--that'll give me time to work out the design , plus the last two years I've done a lot of summer planting and spent hours a day chained to the garden hose as a result, so I'm going to be disciplined this time and plant stuff when you're supposed to plant! And I'm going to take one last shot at propagation this weekend--I'm going to try using the rooting gel instead of trying to grow them in soil so maybe I'll have better luck this time!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

ecrane3,
WoW, what discipline. I also have that feeling that mine is more of a collection than a design as such and have told myself that on the next one I'll do a really good layout. Our last house was old Spanish in feel and the tone was set by a huge existing Giant Bird of Paradise, so everything ended up being tropical as far as my plantings went. I liked it, but what I really love is the charm of cottage plants so this house is a small cottage with my cottage
perennials. And, sometimes we don't get to start with a clean slate; existing avocado trees, etc. Great idea to be able to "think about" your plans for awhile. I have a friend who dug up and moved her trees several times at her new house before she was satisfied.
Sherry

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

ecrane3,
Sorry, lost my original thought......I always just do my cuttings in peat/perlite with Rootone, pots in the plastic bags, etc. However, it's a bother with all the bags of pots sitting around so, I'm going to try everything in water. There's good info here on the water + hydrogen peroxide, etc., got some help on that from Rj over in "propagation"
Sherry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I've been reading a lot of old posts on here to try and get my propagation skills up to the level of my other gardening skills. And I've improved...first everything died because I didn't use baggies or anything to keep moisture in (that was before I started hanging out on DG), then I started using baggies but everything would rot because I kept it sealed up too tight and there was too much moisture. Now I think I have the moisture part almost right, but the cuttings do fine for a month or two, and then the leaves all turn brown fall off before any roots form. I had been using the peat/perlite/rooting hormone and that's why I thought I'd try the gel for a change and see if I have better luck!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

aprilwillis,
I don't know if you caught the post over in Ca Gardening from drdon about the cassia..he says his bicapsularis from pale yellow seed comes about 50-50 bright yellow and pale yellow, so you CAN get the pale from seed, but also the bright yellow. Since I like them planted together this is no problem for me. I'll plant seeds from only the pale yellow and get both. Trying rooting pale in water right now with only peroxide, just got bubbler, will try that also. If no luck either way, will do seeds

Sherry

Sherry
I didn't catch that post so thanks for the info. Will for sure collect seeds! I like them planted together and have my 2- one light one bright in the same area. Please let me know if your cuttings work; what ratio of water and peroxide are you using and has that helped w/ difficult plants for you? Just wondering because I am having some trouble rooting a few things this year that I didn't have problems w/ last year- thinking of trying something new.
I envy you living in Fallbrook- my mom lives down the way- Sun City so I am pretty famillar w/ your area.
April

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

april,
I'm being really unscientific here. Had not heard of the hydrogen peroxide (apparently I've been out of the loop for a long time! I'm learning so much good info here) Just took cuttings and added a few drops of peroxide to about a qt of water, small container. Went and picked up items for bubbler, but have not set it up yet. That will have to be outside and I need to set things up for that.

Fallbrook is nice, but we've been here a long time now and it's gotten far too crowded. Mainly, there's just a totally different vibe anytime you get north of Santa Barbara, and we really miss Northern California. We do have great winters down here, but the lack of rain is killing me, not to mention my water bills.

Sherry

This message was edited Jun 2, 2006 11:42 AM

This message was edited Jun 2, 2006 11:43 AM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a thread with lots of info about peroxide...I think there was another one on this forum too but I had this one bookmarked.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/423028/

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

ecrane3,
Thanks much, I should be well armed w/info now. I'm a little worried about our weather getting hot now since my cuttings live outside. BTW, the stuff for the bubbler is dirt cheap at WM.
Sherry

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.