Warning, Scary pictures....

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

so all this talk of viruses and whatnot had me worried...but not too worried, my lilies were doing just fine thankyou very much. nothing a little epsom salts won't fix (mottling on a few orientals)
Until I looked a litte closer at some Golden Splendor strain coming up....not looking so hot...don't know if it was the wierd winter/spring or the recent hail or VIRUS or what....any thoughts?
(I dug them up and banished them to a pot in the hinterlands to see what they will do (I can't have them infecting the other lilies, but it was so beautiful in bloom last year I hate to throw them out without cause)
There was no evidence of problem last year on the one that came up and bloomed. (the others of the group sulked and stayed small and didn't bloom or didn't come up at all last year)
Any advice/recommendations gratefully appreciated.

Thumbnail by esw
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Here is one of the bulbs I dug...they were all firm and somewhat larger than when I planted them last year....there was some color variation...are these the spots some refer to when virus infected?

Thumbnail by esw
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

and yet another pest I found on one of the bulbs.....a wireworm.. otherwise known as a click beetle larvae.
Do you have any recommendations?
McRae talks about baiting the ground with chunks of potatoe or carrot and disposing of them once the critters attach...or treating with benzene hexachloride or Bromophos both of which sound nasty...
Have you ever dealt with these? I did only find one on four bulbs and a bunch of baby bulbs...should I worry?
(I was very relieved to find that this was NOT the ()*&*% lily beetle.

edited to add picture but can't...

This message was edited May 23, 2006 8:04 PM

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

duh here is the wireworm...
this is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long and very firm...has 6 legs at one end. It burrows into the bulb.

Thumbnail by esw
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Haven't seen virus that colour. Def. did the right thing isolating it. Re Wireworm, soak the bulbs for 30 mins or so in 1part chlorox to 10 parts water, then rinse well in clean water before replanting.

Could be frost damage you know. Maybe.

Looking forward to others thoughts. I have 3 reddish stalks like that. I'm putting it down to frost.
inanda

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have some Orientals that have some issues with the top leaves that look like they are rotting. I posted pics on another thread, but haven't had any responses.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/604337/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.