Saved from the evil fury vermin and babies to boot!

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I was hoping that I would not have to use fencing this year :*), but as you can see, the lily on top came close to disaster yet again :*(. Last year I planted them and the lily monster came over every night to eat. Even on full grown plants! Anyway, I waited this year and you can see the result on the top. To my joy the ADHD rabbit did not nibble through all of the layers and I still have a growing tip!
Looking at the bottom lily I would like to know how these sweet little babies wandered so far from home in less than a year?

Good day,
intercessor

Thumbnail by intercessor
Sayre, OK(Zone 7a)

Hooray!!!
Good Gardener Guys - 1
Evil Furry Vermin - 0
I'm glad the ADHD rabbit didnt destroy your lilies. It is so heartbreaking to have all your hard work and anticipation become bunny munchies.
Best of luck to you in your battle against the bunny monsters.
Kelly

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Intercessor, congratulations!! You may actually get blooms, laugh!
I have moved lilies, digging down, away from the stake, to find them inches away. If I hadn't dug carefully, I would have cut into it. Moving seems to be a tendenancy. What lilies did you plant?

I wish I knew, I bought them last year when I was just starting to do some landscaping and didn't think keeping track was important. I bought them locally and all I remember is that some are yellow, some are orange and ???. Good memory, not! This year we have been keeping track of our yard with a digital cam. Since the blooms were forced at a nursery I don't even know when they will bloom! :*(
Can the division (oriental etc.) of the plant be determined by the look (leaf shape etc)?

thank you

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Frequently ~ or at least you can get in the ballpark. Your pic is a little distant but with the look of the leaves and all the babies they're probably Asiatics.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I only have orientals so far, so I can't tell leaves apart yet.

I write down everything. Common name, latin name, where I planted it, bought it, cost, and try to remember to update if it dies or I move it. Now I'm loving a digital camera. I'm trying to get photos of everything.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I find it's easiest to tell when they're first coming up. Last year, someone described Orientals as 'cigars'...

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

......and Asiatics as 'fountains'. :)

Thumbnail by Moby
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Cool!!! I wont forget that!

Interesting, I'll have to compare to what I just planted. I wonder what hybrids will do?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I always forget to specifically check on the others ~ don't have a bunch of the hybrids and for the most part I think they look more along the lines of the Asiatics, but with a little finer foliage.

Well the lily survived rabbits but it just got hit by hail and took a hit to the buds. One bud tiny bud left.

Owell, the perils of being a gardener...

intercessor

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The perils can be a big disappointment unless we get to see one bloom!

Sayre, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, that stinks! I am so sad for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.