Welcome to Ferns!

Forked River, NJ(Zone 6b)

Anyone know where I can get a fern similar in color to Dryopteris "Brilliance" that Wayside Gardens has?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Erik have you tried www.fancyfronds.com? Judith has a huge selection of ferns there.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

It looks like there are a dozen vendors offering this plant via PlantScout: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79563/

Seneca, MO(Zone 5b)

Has anyone had success with propagating ferns? I have some young fronds (see photos) and I do not know if I should plant some of those to make new plants. Does this work? Time to dig out my old botany book from college. :) This is a Boston fern...

Much thanks...... Amy

This message was edited Jun 8, 2008 4:00 PM

Thumbnail by ambuzz
Seneca, MO(Zone 5b)

A few that were accidently removed while trimming.

Are these good to plant?

Thumbnail by ambuzz
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi ambuzz, if you need to ask a question you can start your own thread on the Fern (etc.) forum.

I can answer your question though, the answer is no, you can't grow from stems. If a fern has made a new crown which can be separated from the fern with it's own roots that is a quick way to propogate. The crown is the tightly curled part just above the ground where the fronds unfurl from.

Spores are the other method, these are made on the backs of the fronds and are like dust. There is a method for doing this and it is easy if you know how.

Roselle, IL

Is anyone out there still interested in ferns? I love them so much! Right now my quest is to find a fishtail fern.............Verona Lace is one of my all time favorites! Love it! I've had the same plant for over 30 years. I cut it back from time to time and start over with a relatively new plant...........but I love, love, love it!

Huntersville, NC

Hello!

I can't resist this opportunity to share my favorite fern Himalayan or Evergreen Maidenhair
(Adiantum venustum).

Mine does not look as nice as the pic provided but its still my favorite probably because if looks so very different from most other ferns! ^_^

Down here in this heat of the Carolina's I'm not sure I will ever be able to have it grow thick and lush. I just enjoy what i can get!

Thumbnail by 50glee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.