EB vs. Gardeners Supply self-watering box

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5a)

Has anyone used any of the boxes that www.gardeners.com offers? I now have 3 EB's and I'm going to order 3 more but I got a catalog from Gardener's Supply and saw that they have a box similar to the EB. I looked at their website and I can get 4 of their boxes for the price of 3 EB's.

I'm probably going to order them tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks, Mark

Thumbnail by CrankyGardener
Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

No, I haven't used it either but hopefully someone will answer. I did notice though that this container has a bigger water reservoir (4 gallon vs. new EB of 3 gallon and old EB of 2.x gallon) and the container itself is slightly smaller than an EB (26" L x 19" W x 10-1/2" H (5187) instead of EB of 30" L x 15" W x 12" H (5400))

tmm

Ashburn, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, my first post! I currently have tomatoes growing in both of these. Last year I had 2 Brandwines growing in the Tomato Success Kit and they had bad BER and weren't as big as the ones I grew in the yard in previous years. Although, thanks to this forum, I discovered that two Brandywines in one of these kits is a mistake. This year the Brandywines are going in the raised bed. All containers got lime so hopefully no BER this year. Anyway, I will let you know how they do. It will be a while, it just wont warm up here. Supposed to be in the upper 70's/low 80's by the end of the week.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't see why they would be any different than an EB or a homemade EB. Still I noticed a couple of things that you may or may not find important. In order to get their tomato cage for the container you have to buy the "tomato success kit" for $60, I couldn't find them sold separately, and that does look pretty handy. Also, it doesn't look as though their self-watering container uses a cover like the EB. If you get the tomato kit it does come with one cover. The covers are also not sold separately. You can get ONE in the $20 replenishment kit for tomatoes.

I'm new to gardening and to self-watering containers, so I'm not sure just how important the cover is to making it all work.

Washington, DC

Also my first post…I bought three kinds of self-watering containers this year. Earthboxes, the Gardeners supply boxes (same as the tomato success kit but I didn’t spring for the package) and the 14inch self watering pots from Johnny’s garden. This is just my opinion but I don’t think you need the Gardner’s supply kit. For one, the shipping is outrageously expensive and you can accomplish the kit with a trip to your local garden store. If you’re really concerned about a cover, I believe a bungee cord and a heavy duty garbage bag would suffice. Their caging system is slick but you could stake or trellis.

I’m actually a big fan of the Jonny’s garden self-watering planters. They sell for $29 for two or you can buy 6 for $69. The reservoir is not big but I think they’re perfect for peppers, squash, okra or a small to medium tomato plant like Stupice or a cherry. And you really can’t beat the price.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?category=292&subcategory=591

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have used the self watering planters from Gardeners Supply for several years now. I use the deep root planters for large brugmansia and the troughs for a variety of flowers. Yep, they are a bit pricy, but I am sold on how well things grow in them.

They are one of the few containers that have been large enough and tip-proof for my brugs. They hold a lot of water (I just slap a piece of shipping tape over the opening to keep out mosquitos) and my brugs thrive in them.

Thumbnail by nathalyn

Thanks guy's!! I didn't have a chance to order anything today. I'll have to wait until I get paid this weekend. I was thinking about putting tomato's in the 3 EB's that I have now and then put cukes and such in the other boxes that I would purchase. I know times running out so I'll have to do something soon.

Wow, Nathalyn! That's a really cool plant. Does it bloom all summer?

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10b)

Nathalyn, that's gorgeous! I've never seen one of those before.

Cranky, time might be another factor to consider too, I don't know what your experience was with EB when you ordered before, but I just got my first EB a few weeks ago and it took nearly 3 weeks from order to delivery. I ordered a staking system 2 weeks later and it's been more than 3 weeks already. This morning they just told me that they were back ordered and would hopefully ship this week (for arrival next week). They didn't bother to let me know any of this until I emailed them.

Anyway best of luck with your gardening :)

This message was edited May 23, 2006 5:21 PM

Hollywood, FL

Nathalyn, beautiful Angel's Trumpet. Had no idea they did so well in a container so I will certainly plant one now. Thanks for posting that pic.

I have 8 earthboxes (one of those is the newer design). I love them.

I did order SW containers from Gardener's Supply just to compare but haven't used them yet.

I ordered the one pictured above with the brug and it does look very sturdy and a good design. I also ordered the one that looks like a 1/2 oak barrel but I don't really like the 'guts' of this container. The shelf is metal like a barbeque grate and is already rusting a bit and I haven't even planted it yet --it just got rain water in it. You then have to use a piece of screen to keep the soil from falling through and a cloth wick. Yuk, too many pieces. The barrel itself is very very sturdy and looks like it will last forever. Can't imagine why they chose metal for the inside when a nice thick plastic perforated shelf would seem to me last longer. Still like the look of it though.

Thumbnail by Cowpea
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cowpea,
Thanks for the picture of the whiskey barrel one. I can't imagine why they would use the metal grill in it.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Maybe I am a little confused on the Self-watering boxes. Aren't these about the same as buying a planter with a water reserve at the bottom of the pot. You can get them a lot cheaper at Wally world or Lowes, or HD.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

The self watering planters from Gardener's Supply are a much better grade than those available locally. They also hold approximately 4 gallons of water in a reservoir system that store water in the sides and bottom. I have used other self watering pots and haven't found any that compete with these.

They are also much larger than any other self watering containers that I can find elsewhere (other than the Earthboxes), and they are the only containers (other than square concrete) that I have found that don't tip over with my brugs. The picture I posted is somewhat deceiving as the plant is so large (making the pot look small). But these are so large that once filled that it takes 2 people to move them.

Thanks for all your post's. I've been on the road and haven't had time to get on a computer. I still haven't made-up my mind. I keep going back and forth between the two. Delivery timing really isn't an issue. I'm going to put out some tomato's and pepper's in the three EB's that I currently have. The one thing that I did like about Gardener's Supply box is that it appears to have four channels for the soil to absorb water and the EB only has the corner's. And, the G.S. box does hold four gallon's of water. My wife just keeps telling me to quit analyzing it to death and just pick one or the other. Hmmmm!?!? But which one? :-)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I bought the tomato success kit and two self-watering hanging baskets from Gardner's this season. It's too early to say how the tomatos will work out (so far so good) but I've been very pleased with the hanging baskets.

I just ordered 3 of the boxes from Gardeners Supply and a roll of the red plastic for tomato's. My confirmation said that I should receive them in 6 to 12 days. That seems to be a lot better than Earthbox.

Jujucaps, keep me informed how your tomato's do in the boxes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.