Help with Strawberry/Rasberry plants !!

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone,
I have a friend of mine that just bought a new home and there is an overgrown rasberry/strawberry Patch about 15x20 in size. it is full of weeds and such and the strawberries have blossoms on them, what should they do to get this under control? Will this require just getting in there and pulling weeds and is there a way after the weeds are all pulled to make rows or to at least get into the middle of the patch and put some rows in it?
The rasberries are to one side looks like 2 rows about 20 foot in length and the strawberries cover the rest of the ground with the weeds.
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Mindy

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

Any suggestions?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I think for now and at this time of the year I'd just pull out the worst weeds and pick the berries. Since you probably don't know how old the patch is, I'd dig it up and replant next spring. Most people replant beds every two or three years. Or if you want to go to a lot more work, you could root runners in pots while they are still attached to the plants then clean up the bed, dig it well with compost, and replant the rooted runners. It's always seemed easier to me just to buy new plants. :)

Oopsies.. The above is for strawberries. Raspberries are a whole different thing. After the raspberries finish bearing cut off the spent canes and neaten up the bed. I have the everbearing type that bloom and bear both in spring and fall from the same cane so you might want to leave some to see what type they are.

This message was edited May 27, 2006 1:32 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.