Did some one say they needed Blackberries?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

This is my back acre! I only have Three and this is the way they all looked when we moved here ! The only clear spot was the 1/4 acre surrounding the house! We have cut burned and mowed most of it away, but keeping up has been hard work! We live right in the middle of the"Briar Patch ", litterally! Here is where Joel Chandler Harris got his idea for 'Brer Rabbit and the Briar Patch'! His Home Eatonton Georgia!
The one good thing is that these berrries are sooo sweet , and easy to pick. Just watch out for the briars!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

As you can see they take over everything! you can see elderberry, Sumac,Wild cherry,and River Birch!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ohh Eufaula that just makes me drool...lucky you for living within easy reach of such yummy berries. I love the second picture as it "looks like home" . Sure do miss Cent. Alabama.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Araness!
Yep i love them but really need to learn more about getting them under control! Im thinking though that tey make an excellent Privacy fence! Not to mention the wildlife,Deer,rabbits, and others have plenty to eat! And a place to hide!
WE live on the edge of the Oconee forest, but that doesnt prevent all the natural habitats from getting destroyed! So if we could give the Wild life here a little room to be happy in that would be nice too!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I've driven throught he area and I think stayed at a National or State park near a lake (do they have one close) Oconee but not sure. Really is a beautiful part of Georgia.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh My Goodness yes We have several beautiful State Parks here and many Corps of engineer kept camping Parks, as well as private area parks open to the public!
The two big Lake areas here around me are The Oconee and the Sinclair Lakes! If you were at a State Park close by I-20 and Madison Ga.( just above me ) you probably stayed at the Hard Labor Creek State Park!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I can't rememver which it was as it was several years ago but I know I loved the spot.

Saint

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Well come on back Darlin' its time for another visit!! Dont ya believe in "Y'all Come Back now, Ya Heah"LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'll be heading home around the end of Sept for about a week and can't wait. Been in TX for almost 4 years now and that's 4 years to long *G*

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

So are you a Georgia Peach originally?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Nope I was born here in Texas, my Father was in the Army. I grew up in Auburn, Alabama. It's about 45 minutes from Columbus Georgia.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Know it well, Im not an "Army Brat",myself, but I have several Grands that are! As a matter of fact my daughters husband was stationed there year before last,before he was sent to Afghanistan! He was KIA,on 8-21-06, almost a year now!
I have son-in-Laws that were all in the Army at one time or another!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Sorry to hear about your son-in-law. I have cousins that are still in Iraq that I worry about, but since they love the career nothing to do but send off the boxes and be cheerful in the emails.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I understand that! I put the wrong year on that , it was last year 05!
Oh yes they do us all proud!!!! Those are definitely our finest!!!!

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

It looks like you may have the same problem that I have, Japanese honeysuckle growing along with the blackberry vines. If I could get rid of the honeysuckle, getting to the blackberries would be so much easier.

Hawthorne, FL(Zone 8b)

I have acres and acres of wild blackberry. I'd say that about 8 acres of my 36 are mostly wild blackberry. The fruit are small, seedy, but quite sweet unless there has been heavy rain (that makes them a bit watery and insipid -- no danger of that this year). The plants are hard to eradicate, and any cultivated blackberries I plant usually die within a year; perhaps the wild ones harbor diseases that they can tolerate but the cultivars cannot? Bearing season is on...it's usually brief, and the bushes are low and thorny and in big patches that are hard to get through without a lot of mowing. Br'er Rabbit would feel safe...probably DOES feel safe.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Good morning Y'All, Yep they can be very seedy and tart if the rains dont come!!! We have been having very sporadic rain here so the "berries are coming along fine". Now Gooley, Do you also have what we call " DewBerries" They are low and are on vines that crawl every where , they usually are the ones that never get fat and juicy, and I dont believe Ive ever eaten a sweet one! My "Wild" Backberries in some areas are over 7 feet tall! They grow on bushes and have long stems that grab everything for support with their thorns!!
Eacambia Guy, yes you do see Wild honey suckle and Red Cow horn there too.Ive been looking for the May Pops too but they havent shown up!!! They also take over!! but the birds and Butterflies love them! Its hard to believe that people in other places Pay to have these plants.HaHa!!!
(((((E))))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.