California lilac

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

California lilac: can I grow one from cuttings? advise please. thank you.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

not sure about CAlifornia lilac, but most lilacs grow suckers that you can dig up-they usually transplant fairly easily

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

CA lilac isn't really a lilac (and isn't even related to regular lilacs) so it'll probably behave differently. I checked in Plant Files, and several of the entries I looked at don't have propagation info, but the one I found that did said you could do it by softwood cuttings or by simple layering. If you don't find anyone with experience here, you could try posting on the California forum, I'm sure someone over there has propagated these. (I have them in my garden, but have never tried propagating them)

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I have grown tons of Ceanothus from cuttings and they are super easy. I do 2" cuttings stripped of lower leaves, dipped in gel #1 with fungicide in good light with standard peat/perlite mix kept lightly moist. Pull the cuttings that don't take as the ones that do carry on to root. I also mix in some slow-release fertilizer in the soil mix.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

thank you! but what is gel #1?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

#1 = softwood #2 = semi-hardwood #3 = hardwood. #1 is the most commonly found in stores and works with most cuttings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.