What's blooming in Canada #2

(Zone 6a)

I thought a new 'What's blooming' thread should be started since the other one was getting pretty large. So if you didn't post any pics on #1, please get out your camera and snap some shots!!!

Steve :D

Here's some late flowering tulips

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I was thinking it was time Steve!

This gentian is not mine (mine is much smaller) but is an older one in my neighbors east facing bed.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here is a Brunnera.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And one of my Pasque flowers (otherwise known around here as a crocus, which it is not!)

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oops that is not my brunnera! And I cant find the pic.
One of my primroses instead!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
(Zone 6a)

Hi Carol :) Those are some nice looking plants you posted! I love your Brunnera and Pasque flower both and you'll have to ask your neighbor what their secret is to growing that gentian. It and the Brunnera have amazing colouring.

Steve

(Zone 6a)

When I finished typing there was another post....So whoever's Brunnera that is, it's gorgeous.
Your primrose is very cute and vivid.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Aaaaaah spring's lovely shades of blue and yellow! :) Fantastic looking plants folks!!! Ü

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous blooms Carol & Steve!
:) Donna

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

Steve you did it man starated a new thread way to go.
OHHHHHHh fancyvan the gentian that is a parennial right ,the color on that plant will i have to have it ,need more blue doze it produce seed if it doze save some for me pleasssssssse.
The brunnera is a nice blue to wink,wink.

This message was edited May 22, 2006 4:10 PM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Your Brunnera is NOT a Brunnera! It's an Omphaloides (close relative). I have the white form in bloom now.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is Brunnera...the leaves are much larger than those of Omphaloides. This is Jack Frost.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Wish you could smell the flowers on this Dahne retusa...perhaps even better than those of the February Daphne.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I just love this Parrot tulip..notice the wee spider..

Thumbnail by Starzz
(Zone 6a)

Love your tulip too Starzz. What variety is it?

Todd - Gorgeous Daphne. I can almost smell it :) It sort of looks like a bouvardia.

Steve

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Sorry Steve I only know it as a Parrot tulip..

Todd..I really like your Jack Frost..I have Hadspen cream..just bought it this season. I hope to find a Jack Frost on sale one day LOL.

Todd that brunnera it that also called chinese forget-me-nots.
It a realy nice looking plant .It must be growen primearly for its leaf color, the flowers are very small, i like it for both.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

For sure the foliage is the best feature as the flowers are quite small.

With our slow spring my Tulipa tarda are still going strong.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
(Zone 6a)

Todd - I wish my spring garden looked half as good as yours!
Right now I'm just contending with some ugly tulip leaves...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Todd yes I know I posted the wrong picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I know you knew! I was just teasing Carol!

Todd you find our spring slow as will ,i though it was just me i have tulips still in flower as will.
Todd the brunnera there are more the one kind is there,the one you have in the tread is called jack frost.the reason why im asking is i have a plant that i grow from seed last year and for the life of me i cant rember what it was called after see that on i think it might be one of those. The one i have has the same shape leaves but the color of it is a silvery green color is there anyone of them that color,Hope this makes sence to you.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

There are several named Brunnera but if you grew it from seed then it is not really the same as any of these named ones...you have a new one!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Steve that is not the same as Brunnera - the leaf is quite different.

(Zone 6a)

Fancy - Yes, I was just asking Digging if thats what he grew. In an earlier post he referred to Brunnera as chinese forget-me-nots.

Steve

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Lovely plants Carol, Todd and Starzz! :D

oh so thay are chinese forget -me -nots thay are annuals this overwintered so it must be perennial ,i think, some annuals will over winter but the leaves are very close to the shape of the Brunnera,oh will time will tell thanks guys.got to go more beds to make i have over 100 columbines gave up counting after that,must be a good daddy and make a home for them lol ,dont call me digging-dirt for nothing ha,ha now thats a good catch frase, later guys

This message was edited May 25, 2006 4:17 PM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Blooming now is my Glaucidium palmatum...a lovely plant for a woodland bed. My seeds were suppose to be lavender but I ended up with a few whites as well.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
(Zone 6a)

Todd - I think I stoped breathing for a sec when I saw your Glaucidium palmatum. I've seen it in a book before but never grown them, are they hard to grow?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Easy from seed. Sow them in the fall, they will germinated freely in the spring. Sow them thinly (say 5 seeds per pot). Transplant the entire pot of seedlings into the place where they will stay...a semishady area is best. They hate being moved. They take 3-4 years to reach flowering size. They look horrible as a pot plant which explains why so few nurseries offer them.

(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I just added it to my list of must have plants. I have lots of semishady area, so they should do good.

Steve

gees is it ever going to warm up,got up this morring the sun was out,couldnt wate to get out side.
Got a cup of coffee( in my Daves Garden mug) went outside wow i nearly froze to death man was it cold .
One good thing no blackflies thay nearly eaten me yesterday.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Well, I think I'll step outside and take some photos..........E.

Roselaine,its a bit wet up your way on the cool side as will.
Today its cloudy and cold ,windy and light drizzle,but like mose gardeners i went to a garden center and bought more plants(like i dont have enought) came home and planted them in gees my hands were like two chunks of ice ,even in the green house it's cold .
Steve we were talking about jacobs ladders a wile ago,i went and bought a vergated (thats not spelt right oh will) one to day it has the nices looking leaves.

This message was edited May 27, 2006 2:00 PM

(Zone 6a)

Digging - I've seen those Jacobs Ladder's with white ibn the leaves before, they look very nice. Too bad I can't send some of our heat your way....it's getting hot here, it was 25 today and supposed to get warmer still.

Steve

Nice flowers everyone. I've got a few too that I thought I'd share. I just got and planted this iris ensata variegata three weeks ago. The flower only stayed open for four days though.
Christine

Thumbnail by

And a purple phlox looking nice and happy.

Thumbnail by

I have no idea what this little yellow flower is. It popped up beside my fleabane. The leaves are amazing, so even though I think it might be a weed, I didn't yank it. I've posted it in the ID forum to see if anyone can help me ID it. It's so pretty though, only about a half-inch wide. Please don't tell me it's a noxious and invasive weed...lol...
Christine

Thumbnail by

ceedub love that phlox, i have a pink one like it and mine has started to flower as will.
As for the second pic i dont think it's a weed .could be wrong i have been know to be .but it looks like a nice plant to keep it from spreading dead head ,dead head,dead head i allways say.
mmmmm was wondering do your phlox produce seed if both ours did we could swap seed this fall,i must keep a eye on mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.