Netting cherry trees

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I bought some netting to put on the cherry trees as the birds ate them all last year. I'm wondering, once I put the netting on, will it be hard to get it off? Doesn't it get stuck in the branches?

My husband found two poles in the garage (left over by previous owners). They have little rounded 'm' on the end. Are these for putting the nets up in the trees?

Thanks,
Gwen

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Around here the farming folks seem to have the cherry tree system down pretty well: they build a wooden frame around their line of four or five cherry trees... it looks a bit like a greenhouse w/o the glass. Most of the year it's just a frame, but after blossoming and before the fruit gets near ripe, they put the netting up: it doesn't touch the trees. It isn't much use to put netting *directly* on a tree, of course. Row cover material, yeah, but not netting.

I suspect your poles are for putting up the netting, yes.

Two Rivers, WI

At one time I had two cherry trees - first year I just placed the netting over the trees.
After removing the netting along with bent branches, netting hung up in the tree and having to remove leaves caught in the netting I placed poles with a line running between them above the tree. This formed a tent over the tree without the net touching any part of the tree. No more problems with any of the above and I just ducked under the net and was able to pick the cherries easily and no birds caught in the nets either. My trees were both dwraf types.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.