you can try this one
http://www.perennialresource.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main
otherwise some catalogs are pretty good

here is the broad shot of all mine that are blooming

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

That's so pretty, Al. Nice lawn too.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

And just to show that I really am seeing them everywhere, even though I don't have a clue as to their names, I took a camera with me to the nursing home today. Here's a few pictures.

Thumbnail by nap
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Another.

Thumbnail by nap
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

My third one isn't showing up, so I'll repeat it.

Thumbnail by nap
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Same thing happened. It must be floating around in space, so I'll send it again.

Thumbnail by nap
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

My last, my favorite picture.

Thumbnail by nap
Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Andy, You're only up in Brockton; why don't those Little Lanterns grow wild in my yard? lol. I think the only real difference between 'Little Lanterns' and the wild A. canadensis is that the cultivar is a little smaller, but they are both smaller than a lot of the hybrids and A. vulgaris cultivars.

-Greg

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I have that dark purple one that nap photographed and bbrook wanted the id for.Anyone know its name?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Cottage_Rose, love #3, and cute little white one nap, all the others looking great too! I have the tiniest one imaginable with the looks of the old varieties in a pinkish/green tone, but it's quite tall.

The dark purple one looks like ones I have that have crossed with the taller old varieties growing around here, they seem to have picked up some McKanna influence. I don't have Mckanna, but the offspring from Songbird Robin has it's influence, it is a McK hybrid.

I took this as it turned dusk, the sky was cloudy but provided enough light so no flash went off. We're all getting carried away with these, but it's fun..

Thumbnail by wallaby1

You can see Biedermeier at the bottom of that, they tend to go horizontal, mine has long spurs but others look to have short ones. I bought it as a plant.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

There is also a mid-height smaller double pink and cream turning white. It looks like Biedermeier has crossed with Petticoats. Notice the small spurs, and the second lot of spurs tucked under the tepals. This is also the smallest bumblebee I have seen, shorter than a normal bee.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A group of Spring Magic's offspring, note the double purple/cream turning white again, and it also has extra spurs under the tepals but they curl under.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Al and Wallaby.
Gads I never knew Columbine were so popular!
Do you folks trade seeds?
Course I don't have any named varieties, but if anybody fancies my lavender ones above I will save seeds. I also have white this year and maybe a couple other varieties.
Are Columbines perennials or bi-annuals?

This message was edited May 29, 2006 8:22 AM

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Wallaby1, that pink is just beautiful.

This one is quite large, possibly size is from Songbird,

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I'm just pleased I left them to do their own thing, the odd gem and the many lovelies are amazing. I was originally leaving just an occasional one, but last year was very good for bumblebees and the cold must have suited the germination requirements!

stetchworth, I think I have a winner with the pink, hmmmm I wonder if any major growers out there are interested.

Cottage, I think they are fast becoming more popular!

Another of Spring Magic

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

wallaby1, I think you have more than a winner there, what with that pink one and the blue and white one I talked you about the other day, I think many a major grower would be interested.

Cincinnati, OH

Hi all,

I planted this a couple of years ago. It did not come back last year, so I thought that it got too much water. (It is next to the hose area) Apparently not. So I do not have any information about this particular one. I am fairly sure that it is a common one. I just love the columbines. The first one I planted in honor of the children that died in the Columbine tragedy. It came back for a couple of years, getting smaller each year. I had it in full sun. I figured out that mistake. So this plant was my second attempt at growing columbines. I was about to give up on growing them when this one came back to remind me how much I love them. And it was totally worth the wait. Also, how do I get seeds? Also anyone that has seeds, I would like to try to grow them from seed. I can send SASBE or postage. Thanks for all your help and advice that I am sure to get, everyone is so friendly here.

Kelly

Thumbnail by kaykay1010
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

WOW, these beauties keep coming.
I knew there were a lot of different kinds but this is over the top.

Here is my late one, I posted the bud 2 days ago.
Pic was taken yesterday evening. I snapped others just now but they are not ready for posting.

Keep them comin' folks.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

oh my the columbine keep getting better and better i wish i could go to each garden and see them in person.
Keep taking those pics,

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think I am starting to run out of new ones. I don't remember the tips on these last year,but they do change color some as they age and I might have missed it.
There has been some talk with my garden advisor about changing our cally lilly bed to columbine, but I have no other place for the calla.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Are columbines perennials or bi-annuals?

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

I most often hear them referred to as short-lived perennials, though they bloom as if they are biennials. This article explains that statement: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_perennials/article/0,1785,HGTV_3610_1963636,00.html

Greg

This message was edited May 29, 2006 10:29 PM

So I bought a Columbine from a mail order nursery this Spring and it looks like it had stems that had been cut off. So does this mean chances are it was suppose to bloom this year and will croak this winter?

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

I've personally never had a columbine rebloom for me. Deadheading doesn't seem to work at all for me and I just end up missing out on the seeds. I've accidentally mowed a columbine before and had the foliage come back, but it didn't rebloom. If a mail-order nursery cut the flowering stalks (I'm assuming most mail-order nurseries aren't selling first year seedlings) on a blooming columbine before sending it to you, that would seem to be cruel trick. Hopefully it was just some foliage they were trimming back, or maybe some of the experts on this thread know better than I do about columbine blooming habits. Most of my columbines are from seed, and all the columbines I've ever bought from a nursery were either about to bloom or in bloom, so they'll probably be able to help you out better.

Greg

(Zone 6a)

Cottage_Rose - I find that my columbine comeback very reliably year after year. So it will probably come back just fine.

Just had to jump in :)
Steve

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

I think the problem is that if Cottage is trying to get columbine started in her garden, and the plant that she received is a second-year plant that has had its flowers removed, she won't get any to come back since she won't get it to reseed. My understanding is that individual plants only flower once, and the ones that I have flowering this year were non-flowering seedlings last year.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I have to jump in too....many of mine have come back year after year....the same plant. I usually deadhead so I know they are not seedlings, plus seedlings are very small, it is easy to tell the difference.

Dividing or moving an older plant usually will kill it, though.

Here is a small (petticoat?) type from Bootandall's seeds I got last year. Thanks again, Boot!!!
This is great fun and very educational!
Toxi

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

gorgeous photos everyone, I have this one, does anyone know it's name?

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

a more side view of the purple and cream one above, I simply adore this one - any clues on it's name?
Thanks!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

My columbines follow this rule: The more I like them the shorter lived they are! I've had some for the 4 yrs I've lived here.

Ohio, did you buy it as a plant or is it from seed? It looks similar to my selfset from Spring magic.

The perennial/bienniel debate, my Petticoats, Biedermeier, Songbird Robin have been around for 5 to 7 years, Robin is weak but always has been, Songbird Bluebird disappeared after 4 to 5 years. Spring Magic I have had for around 3 to 4 years and is stronger than ever. I have had Cameo, it disappears after a year or two, I have grown from it's seed and it was a poor result, also dying off.

I think some are poor stayers, some are good, depending on their breeding. The ones I grew from Robin are very robust and permanent so far.

Cottage_Rose, if your plant is a more modern hybrid then chances are it will be a stayer. After flowering I have often cut foliage back as it starts to die back anyway, and another lot grows and sometimes a few more flowers on late stems grow too. Cutting back possibly encourages it, but last year I didn't bother so that is possibly why I got so many self sets. They are close, but nature looks after itself, sometimes we meddle too much.

The best stayer and grower from bought seed I have is Petticoats. Plants, Biedermeier is in between, neither bad nor very prolific but has nice flowers and it keeps on living and makes good crosses. Spring Magic so far is the most prolific crosser and floriferous.

I just re-checked it to make sure and yes it looks like bloom scapes that were cut off, not leaves. The variety is " Dorothy Rose".
Well heres hoping it survives.

(Zone 6a)

I'm sure it'll come back. I've never had columbine die in the winter after it flowers, bought or self set. Now to go look up your 'Dorothy Rose'.

Steve

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bootandall, Very pretty. I haven't seen any like mine, but I'm loving columbines more since seeing everyone's pictures. I have the wild, Nora Barlows, and Pretty Bonnets. I gave up on the short lived ones even tho I love them. I ordered Red Hobbit and Swallowtail. Both are to reseed true to their color.

Thanks Steve!

WOW look at all the Columbine seeds this place offers!
http://swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/columbine.html
I'm going to order some!
Does it matter what time of year you sow the seeds?

Also been doing to online searching and read that the "Origami Mix" blooms for 12 weeks much longer than other varieties.

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

my columbine come back year after year,i have one thats realy old its will over 20 years came from my great aunts garden and she has bee gone over 20 years got it a couple years after she past on.
I never heard of a nursery cutting the flower stocks off you said it was sold as a dorothy rose hmmmmmm i would be dubius about what it realy is if thay cut off the flowers,what do you all think most places would leave the flowers on thay would sell faster one would think

Blenheim, New Zealand

I think like wallaby , that some are weak grower .other can be dug up and shift from home to home and still come back ok.
Toxicodendron hope you get that pale blue you wanted!!
everyone by the time I look at everyones beautifull pics, and get back to the bottom . I am not sure who has what..

aphidandall

Thumbnail by bootandall
(Zone 6a)

What kind of columbine is that Bootandall? It's very nice.

Everyone on this thread has so many different kinds. I only have a few right now, but trying to increase the size of my collection. Has anyone ever had a barlow cross with a canadian columbine?

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.