Show us your Columbine

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mine are starting to bloom.
How are yours doing.
This one was a gift last year, no name.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is a wild one that popped up in the Peonies.
I moved it to a better spot and it has rewarded me with tons of these small red flowers for 3 years now.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

these are some of the crosses popping up all over the garden.

Thumbnail by daylily970
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

WOW, Daylily, you were ready for this thread, LOL
Nice shots.
Andy P

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Well isn't that funny, I took some pics today of a patch I left to grow on from self sets, crosses with mostly a dwarf pink one I put in (it has a name if i get the label) and does very well. I also have some red and blue named ones of the 'Robin' series, most of the blue have disappeared, the red has hung on but this one is a prolific crosser.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is the main parent

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Double petticoats

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is a dwarf next to the pink one which looks to have crossed with the purple petticoat, the purple is a little richer and the skirt rich cream

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

andy, i like the color of your first columbine. i was talking to another dg about columbines, she and i are trading seeds. that's why i had the pictures.

wallaby1, i like double petticoats. i have never saw that color.

here's more of my crosses.

Thumbnail by daylily970

Hi daylily, there was the Tower series a few years ago, a blue and a pink with white. This was a free packet of seed with a magazine, I have other shades of old rose and light pinks too, there was only one purple and it disappeared last year, but this year it has come back and I have self sets everywhere. I also have pure white petticoat, a self set, there is some of the old fashioned ones around and they cross easily. The dwarf pink is 'Spring Magic' I think rose and cream or pink and white, I found a list!

The Robin is from the songbird series, I grew from seed, they have flowers up to 3" so have crossed with the Spring Magic to make some big flowers. The blue one is Songbird Bluebird, I haven't one in flower yet they are later, I think I still have some! I also have a pink a soft yellow Biedermier, Sunburst Ruby Port with yellow foliage. they are supposed to be ruby but I have a purple one too.

This is Robin from last year, it is in flower now, they are not robust but do produce good crosses.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Biedermier

Thumbnail by wallaby1

One grown from Robin seed

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wallaby, love that double petticoats!

Another from Robin seed

Thumbnail by wallaby1

more double petticoats!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

wallaby1, these are pretty! i love biedermier. i wander where i can found seeds.

belinda

belinda I bought the plant, but I can collect seed from it, there is always plenty. They will have crossed with others around, if you like I will collect a mix and send you some.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

wallaby1- i would love some seeds, i will send you postage. i'm in the address exchange.
i found seeds from t's flowers. i think i will order some.

thanks, belinda

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I never knew these existed! They are amazing! Wallaby, your close-ups are beautiful. Daylily, your collages are wonderful.

I'm glad you started this one, Andy!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I don't think a prettier flower exists. I only have a couple of varieties. It was a great treat to view all yours.

Thank you all,

here is one from last year of the purple Sunburst Ruby Port, I only got 3 plants from 10 seed and 1 is purple! It is in flower now, thought about taking a pic as there is still Magnolia Susan flowering behind it but it's drizzling, later maybe. To the right is Viburnum plicatum Mariesii, behind Choisya ternata, to the left Ceanothus Pershore Zanzibar. The colours look rich but when lush they do all glow in the sun, they did when I looked this morning in dullness and the Choisya is smothered with flowers this year.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Another petticoats

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The same plant as the burgundy coloured one grown from Robin seed, it is very tall, later to flower but flowers well and goes for a long time. the Songbird series are a McKanna hybrid, they were new out when I got the seed for an arm and a leg and were all the rave at the Chelsea Show, I planted that bed up in 2000 so that will be about when they came out, Mr Fothergills is the source.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

My neighbour has some doubles, I got some self sets from a purple, this one is a self set from those and a great improvement

Thumbnail by wallaby1

One more, there are plenty of interesting ones I noticed coming along last year in another bed, I had originally grown some from seed off the dwarf Spring Magic pink, they seem to set themselves better now but I got an interesting one I rather like. It was still in a pot when I took this

Thumbnail by wallaby1
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I love all the flowers beautiful faces and the photographs. Maybe if I got out of my PJ's I could take a few shots myself!

Great jobs by everyone!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wallaby, You have quite a collection!
When I decided to grow them again a few years ago, I was hoping to get one like your Robin. A bright red and white one. I planted Music Harmony mix. All I got were the soft lavender ones, pretty but not what I wanted, boohoo.
Someone gave me seed for a purple one this week, we'll see next year.

Keep them coming, they all look great.
Andy P

Andersonville, TN

Ahhhh, Wallaby set me a clue... what you all are calling petticoats, we call Old English.... our neighbor in Michigan had what seems to be a triple (more rows than what I am seeing on your's) petticoat that she brought from England. It was a dark purple. I also found one that was a dark burgandy... unfortunately, my husband had my son ditch the "pots of dirt" one year, and he didn't know it wasn't dirt, but DORMANT. So I lost it... it was waiting to go into a new shade garden I started...

Anyway... I take it "Petticoats" is the correct name, and it's really a double that I had.... ?

I know they were 'Petticoats' of some sort, I don't remember which company the packet was from but Garden magazines do give away pakets of seed from a named company. I searched and found some info on hybridizing, 'Pink petticoats' could be the one, I just happen to have a purple one, same as I got in the Sunburst Ruby which is supposed to be just ruby.

http://www.suncrestnurseries.com/topics/columbines.html

An RHS pdf with many names, Aqueligeia 'Petticoats' was mentioned in the link but I didn't find it (edited to say I found the entry but it said Incorrect as all were single and not double - from Unwins, looks like I was lucky!)

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/documents/Aquilegia2003.pdf

I found a mention of it on DG, a personal diary (hope it's OK)

http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/vbc/singleyellowrose36/10367/

I found someone here on ebay selling them, but by the pic they might be seed crossed with others as they cross readily

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUILEGIA-PETTICOATS-70-SEEDS_W0QQitemZ4464128396QQcategoryZ3184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unwins are selling them, the pic is same as on ebay, I imagine they are not as pure as the ones I grew as they mention double and semi double, pics not all like mine, they have to be grown isolated to get the correct ones.

here we have a pic of white petticoats, I have a pure white one and it is the same shape,

http://www.botanicalphotostock.com/photosearch.php?search=ae

Andy you wouldn't get a true plant from Robin seed, I paid well over £3 i think for 12 seed and they all grew, all looked the same, they have to be specially pollinated. They are not hugely robust but still going, and provide nice crosses.

My white petticoats, I haven't been able to get a clear pic of this one yet, the camera hates stark white even on a dull rainy day

This message was edited May 21, 2006 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by wallaby1

jenny, I think the one you are talking about is different to petticoats, the purple one above is similar but doesn't quite have that shape. they are sometimes triple, in shades of pink and my neighbour has a lovely purple flushed pink. The petticoats are distinctive in having flat tops, and the skirts look straighter on the sides.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Wallaby wonderful colors and I love the Sunburst Port.
Pirl my DW and I Pajama garden when I'm home on weekend mornings and only change when the digging begins. We walk and talk in our pj's and decide what to do today. My favorite time with my wife is PJ gardening. Well almost. (my favorite time pirl)

This message was edited May 21, 2006 4:54 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

"almost"???

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Andy - this is all I have right now. I think it's a McKanna

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Hi soferdig, are you kidding us? Do you really garden in your PJ's? Even in the cold and wet every weekend morning? You slip from one bed to another, that makes sense! Me thinks you are a joker. Do you grow aquilegias too? I have always had a fascination for them. There is some amazing breeding going on here, I would love to visit and take my pick.

This one is a self set, it looks like the Sunburst has crossed with the Petticoats but has green foliage. They start as tiny, very compact flowers and fill out to this deep red, it has been difficult to photograph but you can see the tiny new flowers with several layers.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

OK I edited my comment. I PJ garden when I'm home with my DW and yes whatever the weather we go out in them and plan the day. And I loved the slip from one bed to the other. Good one!
Yes we have many colombines because they are native here to montana. It is a common plant to pop up in our raised beds. No pictures cause I did not have DG in mind last year and ours are just waking up. Slow start to spring here in 28F nights in Montana. Currently I'm am not at home to PJ garden.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

A, That could be a McKenna, with the long spurs. All of mine are long gone.

Wallaby, they sure are not easy to get a close-up of. They bounce around with the slightest breeze. They like to face down, too.

Andy P

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

So glad you started an columbine thread. I was hoping someone would--I am growing my first ones this spring and I had no idea there were so many different kinds/cultivars/whatever they are called.... and all so pretty. daylily--those collages are knock-outs, by the way!

Very interesting "Hybridizer's dream plant" article, too, Walaby. Thank you very much for posting that. I would love to see your garden sometime--you seem to have a wide range of every kind of flower I am interested in!

tabasco, would that be down to good taste?

No columbines in view on this one, but here is a snap I took last year 'in passing' as I saw the view

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

i will post a few of mine #1

Thumbnail by veeja3
Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by veeja3

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.