Aphids or mites?

Meservey, IA(Zone 4b)

Today, I noticed that a small number of my lilys had deformed top growth. 2 Orienpet and 2 orientals...along with about 8 asiatics. The top growth vears off at a right angle from the stem, instead of shooting up. Also, the stems are quite rigid and I can see there will be no new growth.
A couple of weeks ago they were ok. There is also, some discoloration of the leaves...and some are twisted. I could not find any aphids on these...but my eyes are not what they used to be.
I was reading on the internet that this may be caused by aphids or mites. I tryed spraying an insecticide (only on the twisted lilys....I am not sure if the spray is for lilys). Has anyone else had this problem? If so....is there a cure?
Thanks
Mick

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

If it is anything like what I have been finding on my lilies over the last few days, I think it might be a fungus. I have found the top leaves of some of my orientals look like they are rotting. It has been very rainy here with temps in the 60's, so I wonder if it could be gray mold.
Here's some pics I took this AM.

Thumbnail by mvespa
Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's a close up on one of the leaves.

Thumbnail by mvespa
Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Another one

Thumbnail by mvespa
Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is a close up of some of the leaves I picked off some of my other orientals in a different garden. Anyone have any ideas?

Thumbnail by mvespa
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I don't know with any certainty but I suspect that it is a fungus. We did have an extended cool spell recently and have one lily doing the same thing in an area that is prone to dusty mold.

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5a)

My orinatal lilies arrived fro QVC ,and they have ugly blue green mold??? on the bulbs.
Are they ok or do I need to send them back? thanks Rachel

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Blue-green mold is OK. You might want to give them a little soak in 10% bleach solution to get rid of any other cooties. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.