Orchid house/porch/greenhouse

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Good morning all,

I thought I would start this today, since I am going to zoning to pay the approval fee to start my project.

I submitted post and beam plans for a building permit and they decided no permit was necessary. So today I pay the fee, go to Williston to order delivery of the building materials and get my succulents bed moved over a bit to make some space.

The photo below is the source for my idea for this all purpose space. Mine will be 15X30 feet, built lengthwise by the front of my house, over the front door and porch. Mine will be painted my trim color, and it will have 8 feet of corregated plastic on the roof, closest to the house for rain cover on the porch. The lattice slats will cover the rest of the roof as in the photo. This will not be attached to the house. I fear doing that will cause the skin of the house to buckle and rip as both structures settle over time.

My 32 y/o son and I will be doing the construction. He is so excited because we are going out today to buy our very own circular saw and levels. Big boys and their toys, ya know how it is.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
This thread has 99 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!