Finally! The Tall Beardeds Start their March!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

We wait all summer, fall and winter to see these big beautiful iris strut their stuff. Since last year's late April freeze took out 1/2 of my buds, I have even had to wait longer !

The first one to bloom in my yard was Bountiful Harvest. The huge blooms are as wide as my outstretched hand!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

My species iris are always a bit before the other Tall Beardeds.
I. Florentina dates back to the 1500s.

I moved Dream Castle last spring , it got confused and decided to bloom it's head off late last fall instead. I'm really surprised to see more stalks this spring of this classic historic.

Immortality is not a heavy spring bloomer , but I can always count on a stalk or two in the fall to cheer me up.

I've been waiting for Rocket to bloom ever since I got a tiny root of it 3 years ago. It shoots up high, just like it's name!

Mme. Chereau is always one of my earliest Tall Beardeds. The sunny location on the east side of the house doesn't hurt!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely, Wanda. I'm so glad that iris season has come for you.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey girl, its about time you catch up!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

So great to see your pictures again Wanda! :0)

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

I feel for you with your late blooms -- everything in my yard always blooms a little later than it should. The color on Bountiful Harvest is awesome, Btw I love your Loch Ness "Monster" swimming in your iris sea. I think I'll have to borrow that idea from you.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Rocket is so unique! I like the tall ones. Looks like you are going to have lots of pretty blooms this year.

Susan

Love that picture of 'Rocket' and Nessie! I think I need to do a road trip!

Sue, come on over & take some of my extra back home.
Like this Autumn Echo clump?

Color Carnival is an oldie but goodie....

Cinnamon Girl was frosted out last year--looks like a bumper crop THIS year!

Be really dangerous to turn your back on that Autumn Echo! It sure is gorgeous.

Time, time, I need more time!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Autumn Echo is beautiful, Wanda!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

All very loverly Wanda!

Autumn Echo is the perfect name for it!

Our Cinnamon Girl is puny - it's funny to see the big bloom on top of a 6" scape! I think I need to move it. :)

And I. Florintina - is that the same as Orris root?

I.Florentina is Orris root. It was carried like yucca and planted by pioneers for it's medicinal properties.

WOW! A little bit of sun & my TBs are going crazy! Hundreds & hundreds of blooms by next weekend. New ones I've never seen are popping open each day....

Lady Mohr

I really like bordered iris colors & brillant contrasts. Can't you tell?

The clump of Jesse's Song has just started to bloom.

llilyfan, are you threatening me with a shovel again? LOL That clump of Autumn Echo is making cars slow down on the street. Remind me to save dig one for you.

Tazzy gifted me with this incredible old beauty---Orloff

Anoither dog-eared old historic--Mme Henri Cayeux.

Argyle Gardens sent me this one as Gibson Girl, but I thought it was dog-eared--not ruffled. Tazzy, does this look right?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Wanda,
Has this one I sent to you bloomed yet? I wasn't sure it would bloom this year since I sent it to you last fall...I don't remember if we knew the name for this one or not..

Thumbnail by JanetS
Des Moines, IA

WandasFlowers Just started watching this link when we started talking about iris. I will have to car pool with Llilyfan. Your flowers are beautiful.Do you or anyone know about a young grower in Iowa? I heard about him in an interview on WHO radio they wer intervieving him about his livestock at some show. Would be interested in seeing his catalog. He lives some where in Southwest Iowa. Dick

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Just curious, do you think this is i. florentina?

I guess it would help to SEE the iris. My trigger finger...I apologize!

Thumbnail by boojum

hiddenvalley, My guess is Kelly Norris of Bedford. Runs Rainbow Iris Farm. Really a nice young man.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for sharing all your beauties. Cinnamon Girl is one of my all-time favorites. She's the one who fueled my passion for Iris! And getting tough to find commercially, we moved and she didn't.

Cinnamon Girl was one of the ones that was hit by a late freeze last year. No blooms, but doubled the roots in the clump. Same thing seemed to happen to many of my TBs last year.

Kelly is a nice young man and very dedicated to his iris. I haven't been to his Rainbow Iris farm yet, but it's supposed to be quite a sight!
His website: http://www.rainbowfarms.net/info.html

Boojum, I Florentina has a pearly grey cast to it's falls which are distinctly shaped. Could yours be I.Germanica? Short , early and small blooms?

You are ALL invited to see my gardens--the iris are breathtaking now and the Tall Beardeds are opening new colors daily. I can't keep up on photos although I take 2 rolls a day. I've had a few disappointments with mis identified tubers, but most are incredibly beautiful.

Cameo Wine TB

Loyalist in an eye opening color!

Peaches & Cream in all its glory...

Stop That Music from a tiny fingerling to full bloom in just 4 years! (About time I saw it bloom, huh?)

Spinning Wheel is putting on a show too...

Apache Rose is new to me but old to the world--incredible broken color!

King's Jester--a big old historic compliments of Tazzy the Iris Queen!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful irises and photos!
This was my first year to have them bloom and it was like Christmas, running out every day to see what the new ones would look like up close and personal.
I really like your collection of historics.
Vicki

Lovely, Wanda! Can't wait for more so I can have MY xmas! My white historic is large and white (not greyed) and tall.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

Jurassic Park was beautiful today

Thumbnail by Linda_Iowa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.