Here's my new Maple!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Is that possible? LOL I only have to decide on one tree Laura - you have an entire landscape to do. It will be so interesting following that along.

South San Francisco, CA

GG's tend to be long and whippy (is that a word?) therefore you can stake them to be fairly tall if you wish. Doss is right in that the photo I posted doesn't really show the branching off as well. If I had taken 6 steps to my right you would see that it is actually quite open with a handfull of long branches that make up the structure.

I also have an Inaba shidare (one of my favs) that one of our growers got ahold of that was trained straight up to about 7'-8' then allow to cascade. It is not much wider than the pot but an imposing figure just the same.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Hmmm, I need to post a pic for you all to look at. I need suggestions on training it...

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Inaba Shidare is red? What about a Hanami nishiki?

South San Francisco, CA

Sorry 'bout that - forgot what the original post was about. I just mentioned the Inaba because it was sooo cool, not for the spot you are trying to fill.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Maybe I'll have to reconsider? :-)

I am betting you come home with 2....

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

No room!

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

seconding that bet, largosmom! LOL!! Yesterday I went to a local nursery "just to look around" and came home with a viburnam and a Washington Hawthorn. How could I resist? The Hawthorn, about 5 feet tall, was $9.98. Can you believe that?! DH sighed and asked where we are going to put it. I haven't the foggiest, but there's always my family property in Virginia.... I'm afraid I'm certifiably tree nuts now.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Maybe your are a nut tree instead? LOL

NO I'm REALLY out of room.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Does anyone know anything about a Kamagata? It seems to fill the bill except for being wide. Only 5-6 feet tall and narrower. I could buy 3 at the local nursery on their 30% off sale (sorry Gary). Perhaps someone has an opinion?

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

doss, I really like the Kamagatas, but I thought they only grew to around 4 feet tall?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They do. That's what I want. They actually will get to 8 feet over 30 years or so LOL These are nice specimens that are about 3 feet tall now. I understand that it is a narrower tree than tall. That's why I thought that I would buy a small grove. Here's the setting again. These shrubs are about 5 feet tall and 3 feet apart but there is more room to space them. Probably about 5 feet apart.

Thumbnail by doss
South San Francisco, CA

We had some a few years back that were about 5' tall and 3'-4' wide so yes, they can get a decent size. Nice leaf, dense, takes heat real well. So-so fall color, mostly plain red.

A grove, eh? Interesting. I just wonder, with their growth habit, that they won't look like bowling pins ;o)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

So they grow like a ball? Didn't know that - I think that I'm about back to one speciman - and not the grove - especially now that you are speaking of 'bowling pins'. LOL

Keep that Germaine's on hold for me Gary. 30% just isn't worth getting the wrong tree.

LOL, Bowling pins? You need GG to balance them with a different tall skinny shape and the Tsuma Gaki in the other spot (heheheheh).

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Maybe we can put the GG with the bowling pins and pretend she's the bowler! I've given up on poor Tsuma Gaki. :-( Not enough shade left in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.