Here's my new Maple!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks all of you for helping me with suggestions for a new maple.

It was a struggle between so many great trees but I went to Carlmont Nursery in San Carlos CA (which is quite close to me) this weekend an fell in love with a Tsuma gaki. Carlmont had so many beautiful trees.

The foliage of Tsuma Gaki is just spectacular and it is a wide-spreading tree. There is plenty of room so it won't outgrow it's space.

Here's a photo that nurserydude sent me.

This message was edited May 16, 2006 9:19 AM

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is a photo of the foliage. It's well past spring but the leaves are holding the edge color. It's hard to explain but the red makes the tree look very layered.

Thanks all.

Thumbnail by doss
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! A truly gorgeous tree.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks balvenie, It's going in a large space that I liberated from some shrubs. I don't have much more room, and perhaps never enough room for another maple so I'm very happy to have found such an interesting one.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

really nice shaped/sized tree...I bet it wasn't cheap but most things in life arn't ....and those of us that are addicts are prone to spring for a nicer tree ;>)...I think it will work perfect where you are putting it and I think for full sun you made a good decision ,.I will keep you informed on the "sunability" of my GG... which will get it all day... I'll take pics thoughout the summer and send 'em to you in the fall ... David

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

It's beautiful, doss! Now, I want one!!!!!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Do you have the tree now David? Did I miss seeing the photos? I'm so hoping that your GG works out. What an incredible tree that one is.

I would have bought a less expensive tree but this one had the most potential I felt.

Here's hoping that both our trees like their new homes!

On your list irmaly? Can you confess how many are already there? LOL This one I hadn't considered before. I'm glad that I saw it when it still had red on it's leaves. Spring foliage is what this tree is all about I think although we'll see in the fall what it does.

This message was edited May 16, 2006 10:27 AM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Great looking specimen..those red tips are quite striking, especially if they hold that colour for some time after flushing. A plant that size locally would easily cost $200.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm at a stage in life where I'm willing and able to pay for an older tree. Who knows how much longer I'll be around? Life is short and gardens are sweet.

In my younger and healthier years I bought smaller trees and enjoyed watching them grow, being able to remember their younger years with delight. The process is so miraculous. Highly recommended for those who can or for financial reasons need to wait.

Any way a maple comes, it comes in beauty.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree ...younger is fine if you can't afford it or you enjoy waiting ...I only buy older trees but haven't bought one that big ...If there were nuseries here like you have I wouldbut mail order would be absurd!!!.

If you can afford it and don't then I think that is a mistake ...but to each their own...I have always felt a more established tree with a more established root system has a better chance at least here in 5b on the cusp of JM country ...it is most likely differnt out there... and I like to see things grow but have little patence for a 6-10" tree "stick with leaves".
Yes I have a 4 year old GG I got this spring but haven't posted it cause it's a bit small, hasn't started doing much YET...and I'd like to see what it looks like ltr this summer. But I will get you some pics LTR
Of all the trees I got this year ONE really stands out my Pendulous Julian...It should have been staked higher IMHO but it is spectacular...I is supposedly really hardy seems to love full sun but is really RED so I didn't suggest it ( you wanted GREEN) ...perhaps you will loose some stuff either by choice or not and try this one ...it is supurb!!!!! David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I hadn't heard of Pendulous Julian before. That's a new one on me. When I lose some more 'stuff' I'll definitely look for it.

The nursery where I bought the Tsuma Gaki has quite a large GG - It is absolutely stunning. I would have bought it in a second if I had a place for it. I know that you'll enjoy yours.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yah you'll be hard pressed to find a photo of PJ ...check next time you hit a JM nursery...I'll try to post one of mine if I get a chance ...there are some incredible shots of one in DC on the Eastwoods DVD,,,If you guys don't have it ( this DVD) you should ...it is invalueable IMHO. It is glitchy and sometimes freezes for a minute going from the index to the cultivar photos...you just go and do something else and come back and it then works well...but it has as extensive collection of Jms pictured that I have ever seen... and overall it is well done!!! ...David

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Very pretty!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I did find it listed but you were right no photo. I've thought about getting the Eastwoods CD but, being out of space I've decided not to spend the money. I know that's foolish. Maybe one of these nights I'll get excited and get it. It could happen.

Thanks tiffanya. :-)

This message was edited May 16, 2006 3:49 PM

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

doss, I'm thinking about that Eastwoods CD too. No room here either, but a girl can dream, can't she?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

yah you don't got to get what you see... but it really gives you an idea of all the differnt varieties I find it VERY relaxing just to window (windows ;>0 ) shop ...most show 4 pics with at least one of full tree ...some only leaves and branches some only a couple of photos but as I said most give 4 differnt shots ...as well as descriptions of seasonal colors and occasional comments if it's got a problema or is really special in some way...overall it's worth the money for anyone who's a JM addict or addict wannbe. I think it is as good of reference as vertrees book but in a more everyday joe sort of way... whereas Vertrees is more a scientific definitive book. Kind of like watching Dancing With Wolves on NBC and a documentary on Native Americans on PBS...Both very differnt but must see stuff....David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

OK :-) Have to get out my paypal password.

South San Francisco, CA

Hey Doss! That tree somehow looks familiar ;0)~

I logged a call with my grower today regarding the GG and sun tolerance and am waiting to hear back. I had a similar discussion last year with regards to Oshio beni and sun exposure. We had always cautioned folks about too much sun and I've read where some list it as a part-shade to shade tree. Lo and behold he grows them in full sun and has one outside his office that endures temps above a 100 during the hot summer! Ya just never know...

I'll let you know what I find out...

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

WOW! Very nice tree [drooling]. Gorgeous...

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Now you tell me!!!! Has that GG gone? LOL

I knew that you'd be happy Laura. I can't wait until you get yours. :-)

This message was edited May 16, 2006 8:13 PM

:-D

South San Francisco, CA

Yep, sold them all today - for more than what we were asking! Can I interest you in a 1 gallon Acer palmatum with a broken branch instead? It's a beaut!

I'll post a pic of a GG when I get in tomorrow morning. I wanna keep Largosmom drooling!

Oh, darn....I just HAVE to be on the east rather than west coast, don't I? Just remember, that I can play that game too, LOL!

Acer conspicuum 'Phoenix'

p.s. don't stop posting pics though...the game is no fun without other players!

This message was edited May 17, 2006 7:13 AM

Thumbnail by largosmom

And bark...these are at the nursery as well, but I have a tiny sapling. The one I bought at their spring garden show turned black and died, but they replaced it for me this weekend. This is a big brother a couple of years old. Bark is more red in winter, yellowish at the moment. I potted the baby up rather than putting it into the ground like the last one. I was told they suspected overwatering and had problems with others they had.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

This one was labeled "Fern Leaf Full Moon Maple"

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

I have no idea what this is, but just LOOK! It just glows in the sun.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

And for doss...one water lily, LOL!

Thumbnail by largosmom

One more of the red palmatum glowing...note the other red next to it doesn't have this effect, it must be something about the angle of the leaves and the sun or something.

Doss, gosh I feel like I've hijaacked your thread...sorry. That Tsuma Gaki is going to look great in that spot! Can't wait to see a pic of it "in situ".

Laura

Oops forgot the pic. Not awake yet...lol!

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A water lily! Just what I wanted. :-)

I'm glad that you are posting photos. Fern leaf full moon maple - otherwise known as Aconitifolium or Dancing Peacock is one I wouldn't want to be without. I have it in a spot that is very tight so I have to keep it in line, which I'm very sorry about and it holds onto it's leaves until spring which can make it a little unsightly in the winter but it's so worth growing.

Phoenix is interesting. What a unique leaf shape.

Hijack my thread anytime Laura. These photos are stunning.

Thumbnail by doss
South San Francisco, CA

Germaine's Gyration as promised...

Thumbnail by nurserydude
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Gary, It sure is a beauty!

I read somewhere last night that if you saw Tsuma Gaki in spring that you'd just have to have it. I can't agree more. I understand that it has a little awkward stage near the end of the summer where the leaves are a strange color but it's worth it for the spring. I'm a believer.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

My Germains is a bit smaller and just starting to twist but identical otherwise..mine has a little orange on it's leaf tips as do most of my greens right now maybe sun or cold weather ( mid 50's days low 40's nights) we've been having or a combo of both... next week it's suppose to touch 90 we are a place of extreems here of late!!!...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just was 97 here on Sunday and now it's down to mid 70's. Not quite such temperature wildness as your home. But the new plants sure don't like it and I've been watering by hand to make sure that they don't wilt.

I'm so glad that you have your GG! Is it still in a pot?

Lake Dallas, TX

David, that looks exactly like my waterfall. Whats the difference between that and the viridis?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The angle that the GG photo is doesn't show that the branches angle out so that it looks as if it's reaching.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

it also tends to be more upright than thw WF or V... growing more upward rather than outward and the branches twist more thus the monicer "giration" ...but many of these varieties are similar thats for sure ... In the eastwoods cd it looks more treelike...but that may be how it has been trained....but I don't think you could train a V or a wf to look like a tree...they are more bush like and mounding..IMHO David

Oooooh, NICE! Laura [yes...still drooling!]

This message was edited May 17, 2006 8:58 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You may not believe this, but since Nurserydude has found from his grower that Germaine's is available, I may very well change to that one. I'm going back to the nursery next week.

LOL.....you are worse than me. ;-)

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.