Wintersown Pics

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Here are some pictures of what's growing in the garden. I've basically planted everything out. I am already making lists of what I want to sow for next year based on results from this year.

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

Anita, that looks so nice! Pardon me....I'm feeling a little zone envy.....I'm nowhere near where you seem to be. :) Those are all going to be gorgeous this summer. Looks like you've had really good luck with winter sowing.

I have a question on the white lace flower. If it's the ferny plant in the middle, I've been pulling them up for the last few years....the ones I have I've been considering weeds. Maybe it's something different, but when I pull them up, they've got a carrot-like thing as the root. I don't know what they are....in my head, I call them wild carrots.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I looked it up and they are a part of the carrot family - I don't know about eating the root though.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Wonderful collage of your wintersown plants! I'm so envious of you having finished planting out everything! I love your Phacelia and Forget Me Nots! I'll have to put them on my list for next year!! Did you know & write down color combinations and heights before you planted things out?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

no - I just lucked out on that one

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

No, I definitely don't eat them. :) I just toss them. Sooo....they have flowers....maybe I'll let a couple of them grow and see what happens. It wouldn't be the first time I've pulled up flowers thinking they were weeds. I dug up rudbeckia that kept reseeding for a couple years before I finally figured out that they were flowers. I ended up ordering some (shaking my head) and when they grew they sorta' looked familiar. Now I just let them grow and pull them out where I don't want them.

Shirley's right....that Phacelia combination is beautiful!

(Zone 6a)

Congrats Anita on the great WS plants!!! I love the threads with pics, makes it so much more interesting. Great Phacelia, Myosotis combo!

Merryma - Could your plant perhaps be Queen Anne's Lace?

Steve

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I already know that the phacelia will be a return visitor next year. I will definitely plant more seed as well.

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Anita,
Your wintersown babies look fantastic! I started planting out some of mine last week and plan to get more in the ground today. Some of mine are literally bursting to get out of the containers.

Michelle

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I love it!!!

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

I've seen queen anne's lace in flower, but I've never seen it as a seedling. It'll be an interesting experiment.....as long as I don't let a thug loose in my garden. But what the heck...it's already there, so I may as well see what happens. Life on the edge, I guess. ;)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's just what I was wondering - it sounds like Q. A.'s lace. It's taken over all the vacant lots around here, and grows wild in meadows and sunny spots, but I CANNOT get it to grow in my garden! They have seeds for it? It's a beautiful white flower, flat like yarrow but with a heavenly smell. I carried it in my bouquet for my wedding. Too bad the groom was a factory reject.

xxxxxxxx,
Carrie

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

It is Orlaya Grandiflora - here are two links for it. http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/o/orlaya_grandiflora_wlf.htm and http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56315/index.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.