Gloriosas

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My gloriosas are blooming like crazy. I never know if I should put this in the lilies forum or the vines forum.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Oooooh, one of my favorites!!

Thanks to Jeremy, I have 4 tubers coming up, and two are about to burst, and when they do, I will be so very happy.

I do have a small one coming up and was wondering if I could transplant it on the East side of the house. I'd rather not lose the bloom time, so I will take the advice of anyone who knows better than I.

Gracie

Frederick, MD(Zone 7b)

Beautiful!! I just bought 2 tubers for the first time and they have both sent up one single vine- would pinching it encourage it to send up more stems to get fuller?

Many thanks!
Carolyn

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Just beautiful! I love this vine!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have never pinched mine so I am not sure. Mine usually has four or five on one stalk or vine or whatever it is.
Not sure you would get a bloom if you moved it now.
Here is another pic of one gloriosa.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

If that isn't a picture of perfection, I don't know what is!

Gorgeous!

Think I'll leave it alone, and let Mama Nature take care of things.......

Gracie

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Ooh, I love those. Had them last year and was hoping they would come back. I moved the pot to the garage for the winter, but so far I have nothing.

Debbie

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought seeds of this last summer/fall. I now have a couple dozen seedlings. Can someone tell me how long it takes a seedling to grow into blooming size?
Patsy

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Debbie, I put my pot in the garage for the winter also. I carefully dug mine up to put them in a new pot and both tubers had started to sprout (my pot had been outside for about a week). So, hopefully, you will be signs of growth on yours soon.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I don't know if pinching will work with these. Mine came up with several shoots. Some critter ate the growth tip of one, while the other kept on. It's now blooming while the one that got "pinched" by the critter still looks very healthy, but, now after at least 3 weeks, still hasn't branched or sent any new shoots.

Beautiful pics! I love these.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I also got a couple of these tubers this year. I have never even seen one in person only pictures. I planted them in pots and so far they have sent up one shoot each. One of them is about 5 feet tall and the other about 2 feet. I am not sure what to do with them.
Any help will sure be helpful. Sould I put them on a trellis?
Thanks Linda

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Linda, yes they need something to grow up and cling to.

Debbie

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I purchased fresh tubers this year and they have been planted for 4 weeks and no sprouts. How log should it take? Last year I bought two tubers at the same garden center and they shot up sprouts all over the place after about a month. Then they never bloomed. I dug up the tubers to over-winter them and replant them this year. They looked like jellyfish............about 10 or 12 small tubers growing out of the original large tubers. I saved them to plant this year but they are not sprouting.

Two years ago I had a beautiful pot of them. The blooms were gorgeous. I have done everything the same the last two years that I did then, and nothing.

Any advice? Thanks.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh Lisa, you always make me wish I was in your zone!

My Gloriosa is only up about 8" on one sprout and 3 on the other.

Beautiful pix.

Robert.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

They may take a while to pop up. I've got some that I planted about 4 or 5 weeks ago that aren't popping up yet, but I checked and they're still good. You just have to be careful to not over water before they pop up - they'll rot easily if too wet!

I wait untill the bud begins to swell before I plant them and I make sure to keep them warm. Ditto on the careful watering!

I'm thinking I'm going to put mine in the ground later to see if they'll overwinter here. Of course, I'll take a nice piece in just to be sure I have one next year.

Robert.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Pictures!!!
Mine were beautiful last year. Just now starting to come up. There are only two sprouts so far. I think there were more last year.

Mine opened yesterday!

Thumbnail by raydio
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Rylaff you really are everywhere, I had never seen this before so I did a search and look who i found first http://www.gardenbuddies.com/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?tpc=64189&post=109500

Got any more of those left? LOL

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Can you believe it? Those things multiply like rabbits. I am sure I can dig some up after they are done blooming.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I just got one of these bulbs this year too--thanks for telling not to overwater it!

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Lisa, I dmailed you so check it out.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

WOW Lisa! You and your flowers always amaze me, you have such an incredible variety of plants. I'm green with envy as usual;)
JD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.