Weeping Norway Spruce with WHITE or CREAM new growth????

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

(Which will look like this)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

And then this Pice engelmannii 'Blue Angel' which the description from Coenosium Gardens says: "Bob first saw this tree when visiting Adrian Bloom at this home in England. The bright blue foliage with the long thin needles made this plant stand out. A blue tree with long needles and a dense, graceful growth habit, ti grows up to 9" per year and is openly branched when young. This plant was previously named 'Glauca', which is a catch all name and fits several different selectins. This plant deserves a special name."

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers

Well, not exactly good news on my Whipcord. I didn't exactly have that look in mind. Best for me to pick another location for them real quick. Thanks for remembering that conversation with the woman from Indiana.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Dax, once I get these expensive things securely established and growing I'd be happy to have you take some scionwood. I'd know it was going to a good home, and you'd probably spread around the surplus to other good homes too. And besides, sooner or later you'll probably be grafting something for me. I'm not a good grafter, unless it's something simple. I admire people like you and Lucky who can stick different trees together and mumble some secret magic words and make them unite.

Equil, no I didn't break a tooth. But It goes against my grain to pay big bucks for trees because I plant so many and I'm not descended from Old Money! It takes the majority of my discretionary budget just to keep this place going, and I mostly propagate my own. I don't treat myself to a purchase like this very often, and I suspect I'm not in the minority here in that regard.

Guy S.

It goes against my grain too these days. I must admit I broke my teeth biting the bullet buying larger B&B trees in the past only to learn that smaller is better around my neck of the woods. For some reason, there is no avoiding big tickets on some of the more interesting conifers which I am lusting for these days so it is a treat for me to pick up a few here and there. Next year I won't be able to do this so perhaps next year will be the year of the scionwood. And the year after and the year after that. Sigh, so many lusts and so little money.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

We got a deal Guy.

Now all I need is a very successful year propagating Clematis and I'll have learned yet another fun and exciting skill. I'm ready though, armed with information and tools in hand.

(Can't wait to get away from the city, have a larger greenhouse, and really propagate extensively!) And... of course, It'll all work better, the more people that get involved. 'Viburnum Valley' knows my drill all too quite well by now, as probably do several others. (We can all share, and benefit while saving money by exchanging more often instead of purchasing).

Take care you guys,

Dax

SE Mass, MA(Zone 6b)

Not sure if anyone remembers this thread, but I thought I'd update with photos from THIS years new growth on that "white" Weeping Norway Spruce...

As you all predicted - the new foliage this year is....................green! It's very pretty and doing really well....

Thumbnail by plymouthgarden
SE Mass, MA(Zone 6b)

And here's another photo of the entire tree. I love it!
Kara

Thumbnail by plymouthgarden

Very happy for you. I love those weepers.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

There is a weeping Norway spruce with gold/yellow needles called 'Gold Drift'. Bob from Coenosium Gardens discovered it on one of his plants. It's the only weeping conifer with gold needles that is on the market. (as far as I know).

I just about peed in my pants when I saw the pics of the weeping tree with the white new growth.

Weeping Norway spruce should grow a foot a year or more. It's a beautiful tree.
Mike

edited to correct spelling

This message was edited May 25, 2007 12:18 PM

SE Mass, MA(Zone 6b)

Mike - I know what you mean! Thanks for the info on it - I'm very pleased with how it looks this spring - the new growth seems to be very healthy and that was what I was worried about as it didn't do much last year except eventually green-up!
Kara

Boise, ID

Newbie here....I have a new weeping norway spruce, staked and about 3 feet tall, two wide. Purchased from a good nursery. It has been in the ground for about 3 weeks, and this morning I noticed some browning needles on the interior of lower branches. The new growth it had when I planted it looks okay. Any thoughts about diagnosing this fella?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Interior needle loss on newly planted conifers is quite normal. Even though they are thought of as "evergreens" most conifers only hold their needles for between two years (Pinus strobus) and 5 years (Pinus cembra), as examples. The ancient Bristlecone Pines can hold their needles for 25 to 30 years due to the harsh conditions in which the trees live.

Also, conifer needles are quite intolerant of shade, so as the plant grows, the interior needles are shaded by the new growth and are dropped by the tree.

Don't worry, your plant is just fine. Just keep the plant well watered for the first two years it's in the ground and apply a 2 to 4" layer of an organic mulch around the tree. Keep the mulch a couple of inches away from the trunk of the tree, however. No mulch volcanoes! (:o)

Initially, you should water very close to the trunk of the tree since none of the roots have gone out into the native soil. All of the plant's water is being taken directly from the original root ball and the native soil's moisture is not really available to the plant. By next spring, the plant should have some roots going into the native soil so you won't need to water so close the the original root ball.
Good luck,
Mike

Boise, ID

Thanks, Mike! This place is amazing! How did I miss it so long?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.