landscaping opinion

Redmond, WA

K here's my current plan (this is the second time writing this as my last post had dissappeared on submit - lets see what I can remember). I recall the dimensions of the area is ~30x60+

This area is full sun all day -

This is my flower area that I did ~3 years ago - this was the only year the tulips (500 of them) actually showed up. Possible cause - odd Redmond WA winters, deer, moles, squirrels.

What I don't like - once the tulips were gone that summer it was rather sparse, that summer I had started to add bushes, rhodies, daylilies etc. But still rather sparse. I don't like that I chose the wrong kind of moss - it clumped rather then filling in the gaps.

This year I wanna bring in the big toys. Larger trees, more fuller day lillies, larger fuller bushes and a wysteria trellis that will stagger the length of my rock path.

http://static.flickr.com/49/145082316_45ea3bd8bc_b.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/56/145081304_550252b41f_b.jpg

1. add in wysteria trellis - male on one end female on other
2. 3 large japanese maples staggered on either side of trellis - in hopes to add shade to house - as that garage gets the brunt of the heat which adds to the house in the summer
3. relocate rhodies (not in picture)
4. relocate and add to the daylillies

I'm hoping to remove the sparse and reduce the weed problem

that bark... came with a large population of weeds types that I did not have the years prior. I'm talking in 2 weeks time i had 4'tall weeds that popped in the heat (that was the spring after this bloom)

My Questions:
Any alternatives I should consider? My wife says sod it... it does look ugly more then half the year. :-( I spent a lot of time on making that ugly...

This message was edited May 12, 2006 7:48 AM

Edmonds, WA

I hope you didn't give in and sod. Gardens take time to evolve and you've already have plans for your changes. There are soooo many choices for plant materials that will give you year round interest. You shouldn't try to do it all at once. Visit garden centers year round so you can see what blooms when. Good luck!

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

My ID says Parkersburg, WV but I have been moving back and forth between Lakewood, WA and Parkersburg, WV for the last 2 years. I have gardens in both locations.... The pictures of your tulips are stunning! My sympathy over their subsequent non-appearance....

Much to my chagrin, I've found that tulips don't usually return year after year unless you are careful to select bulbs that are known naturalizers and you take care to fertilize them, etc. Daffodils and crocus, on the other hand, can usually be relied on to return and multiply with little to no encouragement. Spanish bluebells are also a foolproof naturalizer--although my neighbor refers to them as "weeds" because they are so prolific and care-free in this area. But the daffs, crocus, and Spanish bluebells are a good "plant them and forget them" option for spring color. And, of course, now is the time of year to plant them.

I do hope you didn't give in and sod the garden. Peaty is right, a good garden takes time to evolve. Mistakes are the best teachers.

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

How about some lavender? After the dafs and tulips are done, the lavender will start and be very easy to take care of in full sun. Moonbeam coreopsis and red knautia are great companions with the lavender with similar needs.

Say "No" to sod!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

How long have you lived there? What have your neighbors done with their yards that you admire? Do any of them have the same siting as you?
I have found it very useful, as well as $/time saving, to be patient with yourself. I think it's easy to get jaded with the appearance of our yards, because we look at them often, and we just want it done! Before you plan anything, go stand in different areas (across the street & inside the rooms that look out onto the area in question) & get different "viewpoints".
I have also used a hand mirror, looking in it over my shoulder at the different areas - try it, it gives you a very interesting perspective!
Planning can be overwhelming - start with the larger: trees, shrubs & then progress into perennials & whatever else floats your boat.
It would be wonderful if we had $ to hire landscape designers to give us plans & direction. A lot of this just boils down to what plants would thrive in the various parts of your yard. Then select for size, flower/foliage color, bloom times, fragrance, etc.
But ask away - I have found the folks here to be very helpful & have come away with some fabulous ideas.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Some super suggestions Katye, I have to go find a hand mirror. LOL

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Katy - one of my art teachers taught me this - using the hand mirror to look at the scene you were going to sketch. It truly gives a different perspective.
Of course, the neighbors might be very entertained watching someone trot around the yard looking in a mirror!

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Hm, you're right Katye! My neighbors already think I'm a bit dotty. They look over the fence when I'm chatting with my pets and plants. "Oh", they say, "I thought you were talking with someone". Well, I was! LOL I wonder if flipping a photo would have the same eye-opening effect?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.