May 10th blooms

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

Here is a little lewisia I completely forgot about. It was poking up through some Anacyclus depressus that has seeded into a shadier area.

Thumbnail by Ally_UT
Central, UT(Zone 5b)

Yep these others will be some more desert/dryland plants. This is the smallest globe mallow, Sphaeralcea ceaspitosa.

Thumbnail by Ally_UT
Central, UT(Zone 5b)

This little mat Eriogonum was labeled E. ovalifolium, but it's more of a mat compared to other E. ovalifolium that I've grown. I like this one because of the bits of pink in the blooms.

Thumbnail by Ally_UT
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Ahhh...the Eriogonums. I saw loads of them in rock garden throughout Denver. I've tried just E. niveum...made it 3 years before expiring.

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

It seems to me that Eriogonum can be like that. I've had a couple up and die on me after about 3 years and some even after one year. I like the fact that there are so many different varieties to choose from. All of mine(just a couple) are just starting to bloom or will be shortly.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Very nice. I've never tried Lewisia's - how difficult are they?

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

I've only grown a couple, and they seem to be fairly easy. Given a good draining soil and filtered light they seem to be quite easy to please. Here in Utah they prefer an eastern exposure. I let mine get early morning sun and pretty much full shade/bright shade the rest of the day.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

In the UK, drainage will be the main concern (just like my area). I grow most of mine in pots that are overwintered in a cold frame to save them from excess rain and snow. I have one outside that is growing in mostly grit with just a little compost added.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I might just have a go!

somewhere, PA

I cover mine over the winter and they seem to survive the winter rains here.

I can't believe I missed all these new threads!

Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.