African Daisy, Propagation

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have not found any good sources of how to propagate osteospurmum or African Daisy. I read somewhere that the newer hybrid cultivars are sterile, so you can't start them from seed. Anyone have any idea how to propagate these flowers, they aren't hardy in my zone, so I will have to figure out how to overwinter them if propagation cannot be done by seed.

Thanks!
Mina

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think they're sterile, but if you have a hybrid cultivar anything that does come from the seeds won't be the same as the parent. I have a pink hybrid one in my front yard, and this year I found a new one that had grown on the other side of the yard, presumably from seeds because I don't know how else it could have got there. But the flower is a much lighter pink than the original, almost white. If you want them to be identical to the parent, a couple of the entries in Plant Files indicate that you can propagate from cuttings but I don't have any personal experience on that.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

I have propagated from cuttings w/o difficulty and no different than any other soft cutting: rooting hormone, potting soil, etc.
Hope that helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.