Lookie who's FINALLY able to join in the fun!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Well then, Wanda, we know whose irises we'll be able to look forward to seeing after bloom is finished. :-)

Laurie

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

We're here waiting!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A few more from yesterday ...

Dark Crystal, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Zipper, MDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Doozey, MDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one's blooming a lighter shade than it has bloomed before. I remember it being very dark red-purple with richly velvet-textured falls. Perhaps it, too, is showing some effect from the grass herbicide I applied to the bed.

Libation, MDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Gay Sunshine, MDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I might get some pics posted tonight since it looks like it will be raining AGAIN. Since my TBs are going to be so gorgeous this year, I'm toying with the idea of letting other gardeners in to look from the general public.

Our local DG members ares talking about starting a "Garden Tour" club. Just an excuse to get together to peek at each other's garden's and share plants. It might be fin to pick up a few more "locals" to join us.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

They're blooming too quickly now for me to be able to keep up with posting each day's openers, so I'll just try to post the first-time, maiden bloomers that I've not seen before.

Planted just last year ...

Add It Up, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I've been waiting to see this one bloom for three years! As I expected, it was worth the wait. What a cutie!

Dot Com, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

An '05 Sutton intro, planted (obviously) last year. It is impressively floriferous for a first year plant. Four blooms open yesterday!

Drop of Sunshine, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Little Violet Charm, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This is one of those irises whose color walks the line between muddy and moody. I dislike muddy. I very much enjoy moody. I haven't quite made my mind up about this one, but I'm leaning toward liking it. Planted last summer.

Smokette, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I think this one is probably misIDed. It was given to me as 'Mrs. Nate Rudolph', but it doesn't closely match either the online photos I've found or the written description. It also doesn't photograph accurately. It's a smoky lavender SDB with a quiet charm.

If anyone recognizes it or can confirm one way or the other whether it is Mrs. Nate Rudolph, please let me know.

Thumbnail by laurief
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow Laurie! Your little iris and photos are drop dead gorgeous! What a treat for the eyes.

We are in the midst of this 3 week long cold and rainy front too. Its actually getting a little depressing! I think I'm getting that no sunlight syndrome - I know my daylilies definately have it. :-(

Kaycee, WY(Zone 3b)

Laurie
Your isis are just beautiful! As well as everyones on here. I'm in hopes someday that mine will be that graceful. More fence building this weekend and then hopefully the iris beds next. We are planning on using cedars around 9 foot long to make the beds out of... And then dividing them, Would this work for iris ya think? And when i do get the irises from you...i don't remmber if i had asked this or not...but do i use fertilizer ?
Again just beautiful! Hope you don't mind me lurking, trying to absorb all of the info... Right now i think i at the very least ..need another head lol
Becky

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Hang in there, lilyfan. Nice weather is on the way! It's gorgeous here today -- light cloud cover over basically sunny skies, temps cool enough to be ideally comfortable, no wind -- perfect!

Becky, I don't see why cedar borders wouldn't work just fine for the irises. In terms of fertilization, I always recommend having a soil test run before applying fertilizers (although I don't necessarily do so myself -- do as I say, not as I do). Overfertilization can damage your soil and poison your plants, and underfertilization can leave your plants starving for necessary nutrients. A soil test will tell you exactly what, if anything, your soil needs to put it into optimal condition for growing irises. If you do need to apply fertilizers, it's best to apply them at least three weeks before planting and till them deeply into the soil.

Laurie

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Laurie--love that drop of sunshine! Is it vigorous?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

OH MAN, it's getting FUN here!!! I can barely keep up with the speed with which irises are popping around here now. My first few IBs opened yesterday, along with the first MTB of the season, but the real parade is still occurring among the SDBs and MDBs.

I've got a big backlog of pics of irises you've seen me post in years past, but I think I'll save them until I've got a lot of extra time to post. For now, I'll just post the maiden bloomers.

So, the maidens from yesterday ...

This one will look familiar to flowerfrenzy. What an absolute cutie!!! I knew as soon as it opened that it was one from Laura's garden. I mean, RUFFLES!

Snickers, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I wanted this one for years before I actually acquired a piece in '04. I just LOVE the markings around the hafts and beards.

Serendipity Elf, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Many of us who benefited from Wanda's great generosity last year will recognize this lovely littleun.

Red Heart, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I have so many blue-bearded yellows that I tend to take them visually for granted, but this one caught my eye with its pastel green-yellow (as opposed to the majority which are golden yellow) and softly tailored form. This flower is the picture of innocence.

Golden Starlet, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one has incredibly rich depth of color, in spite of this wretched photo. I just couldn't resist posting it because I'm so impressed with this flower's color impact. It is blooming right next to Golden Starlet above, which creates a surprisingly pleasing contrast. I will try to get a *much* better pic of it in the days to come.

In the Red, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one essentially (sort of) combines the colors of the last two for that oh-so-important POP factor!

Huddle, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another one of the innocents, this one's color is difficult to describe. Not yellow, not pink, not peach. Maybe a peachy yellow.

Fairy Favours, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I am a sucker for these spot patterns. Give me something with a big splash of color on the falls, and I'll fall for it every time!

Grape Orbit, SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Oh, Wanda, to answer your question, Drop of Sunshine is growing impressively for a first year plant. It looks like it's going to be a rapid clumper and generous bloomer for years to come, though it is still quite early in its life here to know that for sure.

I'm going to be posting one that should be open today that I'd appreciate your taking a look at. It'll be one of the rzs you sent me last year marked as Fad, but it's not going to be Fad. The bud is entirely yellow. If you know which of the other irises you received from that same source might match this unknown yellow, I'd be very grateful. Otherwise, I'll just tuck her into my unknown bed with the other nameless beauties.

Time to run out and see what new treasures have appeared overnight!!!

Laurie

I'm dying here! Laurie, I love your SDBs so much!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Hey boojum,

You know the great thing about SDBs is that they fit into any size garden. ;-)

Laurie

And anywhere!!

Kaycee, WY(Zone 3b)

Laurie
Thanks for the info. A so need to do a soil test. In most of my yard is what i think good soil. You can stick a shovel in and everytime come up with a shovelful of worms. Tons of worms. But to the south side of the yard is .... terriable dirt. Hard as rock. I guess that was where the old log house burnt years ago. Thus why i wanted to build some raised beds. We was also thinking about bringing tons of topsoil which we have tons of lol
3 weeks.... Oh i so hope i get those in soon. Branding on the 3rd.so after that work work work lol
Your iris are more than amazing :)
Becky

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

This is an old favorite, known to me as Japanese Roof Iris, but I don't know it's real name. help. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

I think it's tectorum. I'll check.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Patti,

Japanese roof iris is Iris tectorum, so I assume that's what yours is. I've tried to grow it several times, but I can't get it to overwinter here, so I've never seen it bloom in person. Google "Iris tectorum" (or check the PlantFiles) and see if it's a match for yours.

Laurie

Here tis. You have an alba.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59609

I had the purple once for a few years, but one spring I lost it too, Laurie.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, boojum and laurif. Tis the one. Patti

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

OF COURSE there had to be FROST this morning!!!!! Poor little droopy stalks and melted flowers all over the iris beds. I'm hoping the stalks will straighten back up as the day warms and that none of the vast majority of unopened buds and developing stalks will be affected. Unfortunately, we're expecting frost again tonight. These are light frosts, though, so all may not be lost. Wish me luck, folks.

It's a darn good thing I run out to the beds several times a day to take pics! Here are the maidens from yesterday ...

This one has wonderful depth of color in those yummy chocolate-red tones.

Jungle Gem, SDB.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda, here's the not Fad I mentioned above. You generously sent me several rzs of Fad, so it's possible the real thing may still show up in my beds. This one ain't it, though! Does this look like any of the other SDBs you received from the same source who gave you Fad?

not Fad

Thumbnail by laurief

OH! Yum. Love that notFad! That peachy stuff in the middle is wonderful.

Here's nut ruffles. Must be in the jungle gem family.

Thumbnail by boojum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.