How to start a torn up pineapple?

Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Whilst babysitting my very active 3 year old nephew, my baby pineapple somehow became removed from it's plant. I have the baby, the ball is about 3" radius.

What's the best way to propagate it, and will the mother plant produce again, or is she just a foliage specimen forevermore?

Thanks for your help.

Sally

Cincinnati, OH

When I was little and on the South (American) side of De Troit pineapples had a main top and usually a couple of sections would have mini-tops. It was fun to plant either the main top or the minis. They would grow until winter.

Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

So, do I cut the top off and plant it in some good soil?

and plant the bottom the same???????

Cincinnati, OH

Just plant the top and eat the rest. I no longer see the minis around the main top so it might be chemically treated. Most of the garlic sold by the seven American grocers will not sprout. Seed company or ethnic garlic sprouts. Good luck.

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I've tried to root 3 pineapples from tops that I purchased in the grocery store and I was beginning to wonder about that. But I have had potatoes and garlic that aren't supposed to sprout go to town in storage. Who knows. It's ironic though, it never fails.

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I think I figured out what I did wrong! Thanks for the link!

Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

That's just what I was looking for, AuNatural!

I left the baby sitting for a while so I'm not sure it's still viable, but I'm excited to see what happens now that he's trimmed and in a nice glass of water.

Thanks so much.
Sally

Falling Waters, WV(Zone 7a)

I used to live in Hawaii. They cart off all the pineapples in huge trucks, cut off the tops at the factory and then take all the tops out in dump-trucks, and just sit them in rows on the pineapple fields. They'll start growing, just don't over-water but keep them moist and you should have pineapple plants going again :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.