pampas grass

Oceanside, CA

Is there any way to spade into the outside portion of a mature pampas grass plant and transplant it. It appears to be so large that I wonder if all I would be doing is damaging the plant. This same question applies towards Bird of Paradise as well.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Roots on pampas grass are very tough so you probably need an axe or heavy duty hoe to chop through these. You probably want to trim the top of the grass down to a foot or so above ground level to help get to the roots. It's a lot easier to buy it than dig it. A lot of my neighbors tried ripping it out with a chain hooked to a truck and then burning what was left to get rid of it.

My bird of paradise is in a pot so I don't know about digging one up. I have to remove it from the pot every couple of years and saw through the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the roots and soil and put it back in the pot else it would push completely out of the pot if I let it. The roots are a lot thicker than pampas grass but I'd think it would be easier to dig up since they don't seem as tough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.