Planting time organic fertilizer suggestions needed

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

First a little background...
My garden has slowly gone organic though I was never one to use much in the way of pesticides anyway. I just don't have an insect pest problem big enough to warrant treating. This may be becuase I don't grow things that are very pest susceptable for the most part. One thing i have had a problem with is flea beetles in egglplant and SVB in zucchini. I used rotenone for the eggplant and Bt for the zuchini last year (are they considered organic?) other than that I don't treat for anything. I do have some disease issues but planting resistant varieties has helped there.

I am going to be putting my tomatoes, peppers, squash and beans in the ground soon and am looking for organic suggestions. In the past I would mix a handfull of 10-10-10 and a bit of epsom salts in the soil I would remove from the planting hole. I do not have access to compost (already used mine up for some other plantings) or manure (not truck to haul it in and nobody willing to do the hauling). I have a worm farm but I've already harvest and pretty much used that up. I have made alfalfa tea and have a jug of fish emulsion. Can I use either or both of those at planting, will they burn the plants and do they give enough P and K to balance the N? The last thing I want to do is overload my tomatoes and peppers with nitrogen to get lots of leaves but no fruit.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I always throw a half a trowel of bat guano in every transplant hole--for everything. Works great for me, never burns a thing, you can buy it where ever they sell a lot of organic products in 1 lb. buckets. Actually my philosophy of gardening down here in Texas (and the answer to all life's problems in my opinion..lol) can be solved by more bat guano and more mulch.
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.