Mexican Hat - When and How?

(Zone 9a)

The stems are brown so I assume the seeds are ripe, but where are they? Are they inside the cone? If so, how do you get them out? These seem tough and reluctant to release the seeds. Thanks for any help.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

The ones I gathered the seeds just fell off the cone with very little effort on my part. After I removed the seeds the only thing left was a stem and I guess the seeds are in the cone. I didn't see any place else they could be. Hope this helps. Jim

(Zone 9a)

Jim
Did the cone fall apart readily? Mine must not be fully ripe as it takes some bending and twisting to get these apart. Thanks for your help. Paula

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

They didn't just fall apart but I didn't have any trouble getting the seeds to fall off. I just took my fingers and ran the cone between them and they fell off. My seeds have been dried for at least a couple of weeks. I brought one in yesterday and they were somewhat dryer than a couple of weeks ago. You might have to wait a little longer for them to dry. Wish I could be of more help. Jim

Lancaster, CA

Paula,

The ones I gathered last year were as Jim described. It's the cone that turns brown not necessarily the stem itself. The seeds are odd shaped and colored and come easily off the cones when gently rubbed. I let mine dry further but I didn't start collecting them till I saw them falling off the cone. Does that help?

Chris

(Zone 9a)

That's what I needed to know. Looks like I need to let them ripen a bit longer. Thank you both, Jim and Chris, for your help!

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Yap more dry time, I loved these when I lived in New Mexico.
Keep me in mind for a batch of these.
Thanks Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.