Seed Bed Questions

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Does anyone here have experience with a seed bed or know of some good links to info? Most of the info I'm find is for large scale farming. That's really not what I need!

I fell behind in my seed starting, then was injured, now am trying to catch up. I did some winter sowing but didn't get the germination rates I was hoping for. I'm thinking about starting a seed bed, but wondering what the germination rates would be?

Can basically anything be sown in a seed bed? How soon could I sow, do I have to wait until after last frost? What type of soil do you use in seed beds? How likely are you to lose seeds to birds & critters, wash away, or other things? Am I better off just to start things in containers like they do for winter sowing, or just continue starting things indoors under lights?

I have a small Lasagna style bed that I put in last year that hasn't been planted yet. I was thinking of using that for the seed bed. Is that a good or bad idea? It's the best soil I have and it's readily available.

The seeds I want to start are all over the board, from Daturas to Dianthus and Pandorea to Pansies.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi there :) I was just flippin' through DG and stumbled upon your thread here.

I cannot answer all of your questions. For instance, I don't grow Datura, so I can't help you there. I can tell you, though, that a prepared garden bed (sounds like your is a lasagna bed) is a great choice for sowing seeds. The first year we lived here, I didn't have time or money to put much more than trees in, so I grew some seeds that I bought at Wal-Mart. My soil was horrid clay, compacted by construction equipment, but I chose plants that didn't mind the clay and they grew well :) The perennials didn't bloom the first year (they usually don't), but the following spring I dug them out just long enough to improve and amend the bed, replanted them and they're off and running! This year (year 3) the purple coneflower, especially, are huge and my shasta daisies look great too :) My mom can't believe I grew them from Wal-Mart seeds!

At my next house, I hope to grow a large percentage of my perennials this way. Like you're suggesting, having a seed bed specifically for holding plants I've grown from seed until I'm ready to plant them into their permanent beds :)

As to the planting times, that's going to depend on the plant. Also, some plants need a cold period, some need a darkness period, some need light to germinate... so you'll have to do a little homework if you don't have sowing instructions on their seed packets (like, if you got them in trades or something). BTW, not all plants come true from seed. Thought I'd mention that :)

If you start the pansies, they might bloom for you by the fall.

Hope this helps :)

Huga

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much for your help, I really do appreciate it. I had given up on this thread.

I started a lot of things in recycled containers after giving up on this thread...spring sowing, winter sowing style. They are doing well, even after 10 days straight of non-stop rain. I'm excited to see the little sprouts and I'm sure more will sprout once we get some sun.

I did hold back some seeds that germinate very readily to sow in the lasagna bed. Dianthus, Forget Me Nots, Foxgloves, Hollyhock, Daisies, etc. I'll also plant these in a style that will make a nice bed for growing on until they are transplanted...like you suggested.

Thanks for the tips about not everything coming true and some things needing cold treatment. I got those areas covered...I hope. I'm still learning as I go, but having lots of fun.

I also think the idea of a seed bed is great. I've just never seen one set up and haven't been able to find good info. Would you consider this sowing in situ, even tho the plants will be moved at some point? Maybe if I had given the thread that name I would have gotten more response! =^)

Thanks!
Heather

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to have helped :)

Yes, to answer your question, I would consider it to be sowing "in situ". In my understanding, that just means that you are sowing them where they will actually be completing the growth season. I hope to use a seed bed for plants to complete 2-3 growing seasons before moving them, then dividing them when I move them out of the seed bed to plant them in their real homes. The 2-3 years should give most perennials a chance to get large enough to divide into 2-3 plants. That's more bang for your buck! :)

Take care,
Jacci

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.