Mirabilis germination

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I planted a tons of these buggers this year. I've done Jiffy pots with heat, regular seedling mix on the back porch, in a baggy and in H2O2. Not a single one of these has sprouted. I am doing something fatally wrong? The only thing I can think of is to stratify them, but aren't they a tender perennial? I'm desperate to get some of these growing in my yard this year!

Any help here would be appreciated!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Mirabilis - Half Hardy Annual.
GerminationTime: 7-21 days.
Seeds needing light should have no newspaper, brown paper etc. placed over the trays. Sow on the surface and do not cover at all with compost.
I just poke them in at the top of the soil.
Germination Temp: 70º
Soil: Well drained

Courtesy of backyardgardener.com & Thompson & Morgan Successful Seed Raising Guide. This guide is out of print. http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

~* Robin

This message was edited May 5, 2006 7:04 PM

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

So they need light and warmth. The seeds in the Jiffy pots were getting light and warmth. Is there any info on how long they are viable? All the seeds I had I traded for.

Arrianne,

I was really curious one day and opened one of those hard capsules. That shell looks quite invincible, but it really does serve a purpose. The woody coating absorbs water & nutrients that distributes them internally (like a wicking device) to & for the tiny, fragile fiber-optic thread that is the real seed inside! I only found the true seed when I looked under my 10x lighted magnifiing glass.

Maybe they need to be spray/misted ontop to uncover them? You should use the spray I recommended in this thread: Mold http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/597018/ to CaptMicha. To prevent damping off and fungus.

~* Robin

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the link and the info. I do use chamomile spray on my seedlings and it really makes a huge difference. I like it better than the H2O2. I also just grab the same spray bottle when I do ironing! No real purpose intended, just smells nice! The tea I brew it from also has tea tree leaves in it, and the little seedlings seem to enjoy that too.

I dug up the seeds that were in the tray outside and lightly pressed them into the soil (like a duck sits in the water) to see if that might get them going.
The only thing I can think of, is that they were all old seeds. I've had that problem with other seeds this year too. I've guess I've learned my lesson about what seeds to trade for.

I'll wait a few more weeks before moving on to another seedling project!

I still have some broken 4 o'clocks that asked for in a trade earlier this year; but there are too many there also. Do you want some of those? 'Broken Colors' (Mirabilis jalapa) http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/88486/

& also Teatime Rose http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/8842/

~* Robin

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

If they're fresh! I'd love to have a control group to compare the seeds that I have sowed. I may try the paper towel in the baggie method, taped to the window.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I have some called Custard and Cream if you'd like about 15 or so seeds. They are a broken colors yellow and white. Let me know and I'll get them in the mail on Monday.

I planted some about 6 years ago and they self seeded pretty well. Eventually I got tired of them and kept pulling up seedlings. Every year I seemed to miss one and a huge hot pink one would come up. I finally got to digging around and found it had formed a huge rhizome and it overwintered every year! I guess the hot pink was the strongest color of the bunch and thrived.
I'm also trying some heirloom type one called Mirabilis longiflora which is white and supposedly nice for fragrance. Unfortunately there are only 8 seeds in a pack so I'm being stingy. Hopefully I'll have some seeds to share this fall = )

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

Good news! A couple of the seeds I dug up have decided to throw out a root. So maybe I'll have a couple in the ground before the fall!

I've heard that longiflora smells a bit like Jasmine.

Do you have any longiflora? I'm sending you the 'Broken Colors' & Teatime Rose.

~* Robin

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I DID have longiflora. Amoung those that never sprouted! The trader made a not of its fragrance on the seed package.
Thank you so much for sending me seeds. I still remember our failed Lavender trade from last year and I plan on sending a whole bunch this fall. I will NOT put it in a ziploc bag this time!

somewhere, PA

I got a bunch of 4-oclocks to plant aroudn the roses and totally forgot about 'em!
Shoot. I'll sow them today and see if they can provide some protection from the JB'.s

Tam

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

From what I can remember, I just planted my in pots and put in the sun and watered everyday. They're still in the original pots and starting to bloom.
I'll be moving them to the ground this weekend.
Jan...

Arrianne,

Your seeds went out this moning; sorry, I haven't been well. You'll be happy. Let me know when they get there.

~* Robin

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

Well I am happy! I was very surprised to get your envelope in the mail today. Thank you very much!

Ok then.

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.