New (to me) container experiment.

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

Since I got a windfall of nursery pots through Craigslist, I decided to put some odd-sized ones to use. They're "Mum Pots" and "Cabbage & Kale Pots," about 8" in diameter at the top, and 5" deep.

I filled 8 of them with Pro-Mix, and cut the bottoms off of 8 half-gallon water jugs. I made an impression with the cut bottom of the jug, in the surface of the soil. Then I sowed a variety of grasses inside the impression. I stuck the bottomless jug into the soil about an inch, drilled holes through the lip of the pot and the jug on 2 sides, and ran a coathanger through the holes to lock the jug in place.

It seems to be working fine. Lots of condensation in the jugs, and the soil is staying wet. So far, 4 of the 8 have sprouts; Bunny Tails and Purple Majesty Millet. I just sowed them on April 24 & 28.

When it's time, I'll just pull the coathanger and lift the jug off. Rinse out the jug, and string it up for it's next use.

Thumbnail by donn
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a clever idea, especially for the taller growing seedlings. A great use of resources!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

and the black bottom probably helps in keeping the soil warmer! Excellent idea!

Beachwood, OH

You know what I liked about this idea Donn was that you could keep the lids on firmly through the winter and the drainage in the bottom is uniform.
I have assorted sawed off gallon containers that will probably just send to recycling because they were a pain to get them to stay on top of the gallon jug bottoms.

I could see using this with deeper plastic pots and just set the jugs down inside for the winter - would also satisfy my need to look all the time!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Is the only opening in the jug the pour spout? I thought you had to gradually open the cover and the cover had to stay on until the second set of leaves developed.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think you can also take the cover off all at once as long as you move them around a little as they are hardening off.... first day or two in a more sheltered/shaded spot, maybe put the cover back on at night... the idea is to get them used to unprotected conditions gradually, however you go about it.

I didn't cut larger openings in the lids of my containers, just put the lids back on at night for the first week or so, whenever it got cold.

Great system, Donn!

beaker..I do exactly as critterologist describes. First, the pot-jugs never get direct sunlight. Because of the season, they stay in my bright but protected carport. This time of year, germination is taking very little time, and once I have a good number of sprouts, I start removing the jugs, first just during the day, and finally, permanently. Then, depending on what I'm growing, I gradually give the pots morning sun and finally move them to locations that they favor for permanent conditions.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

donn, I seem to have snitched your idea, well, somewhat. I discovered milk jugs fit over my nursery pots when I was trying to get the potting shed organized. Sorry 'bout that! I was going to use duct tape to hold the jugs on but I like the clothes hanger idea better.

No sweat...great minds!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.