Fabric Under Soil?

Clyde/Fines Creek, NC(Zone 5b)

I have seen twice here people creating flower beds and part of that process seems to be laying weed cloth underneath the soil they bring in and then planting on top of this. What I see here in Hawaii more often is laying the fabric on top of the soil and then cutting holes in the fabric to place the plants in.

Neither of these scenario's makes much sense to me. The fabric creates an artificial barrier that is going to stifle the natural processes of the soil flora and fauna that should help improve the vitality of the soil and as a result plant health and vigor. The action of the roots moving through the soil is also inhibited and roots are part of the soil life systems.

How did this become an acceptable gardening practice? What is the reasoning behind adding a semi permeable layer of fabric to the soil?

ilima

This thread has 66 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!