what is story on Peachy Keen

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

It is funny that you do not see many Peachy Keen. I wonder if anyone has had trouble with it. I know that Monet is not a good plant in many places. The nursery people I go to here told me they have lost whole flats of them. I just wonder if there is a problem with Peachy Keen.

Also does anyone own Pink Marble. I am right on the verge of buying one. Comes from Australia and it is suppose ot be rare. They say it has vigorus growth and very large leaves. The price is steep for a Heuchera and I would not like it if is was a shaggy mess like Palace Purple can be. Just maybe the reason it is rare is nobody wants it. Not a bad looking plant in the pictures I have seen.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,

Looks like a nice one. I found it on Eminence Meadows web site for $15. Where were you going to get it from? Was the price higher or lower?

Got some really nice Heuchera this weekend. Can't remember which ones, but I know there was Hollywood, Mardi Gras, Caramel, Marmalade, Peach Flambe, Sparkling Burgundy, Lime Ricky,,,, can't remember the other ones. Also got a Heucherella,,,have to see which it is.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kelly was grabbing those plants so fast that I had to get out of the way to avoid getting knocked over. LOL Ya shoulda been there! I picked up some as well....and I can't remember which ones I brought home either. They are outside and it's been rainy and drizzlely and cold all day. I'm having trouble remembering all of the other plants that I brought home as well. What a work-out.....apparently I just wore out my brain as well as my back since it is all just a blur. (We really had fun!)

Marie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Marie,

ROFLOL,,,,was just about as bad as us tip toeing throught the hostas,,,LOL

That wasn't exactly 'tip-toeing' through the hostas. I'm still amazed that there were no serious injuries to either ourselves or those hosta. Why in the world would they put them in such hard to reach places if they wanted to actually sell them.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I think they are supposed to go where those other hostas were, they just didn't put them out there yet. That's where I have seen them before, on all those bare tables. Yep, things were getting a little ugly there for awhile,,,LOL

Did you finally get all of that stuff from the hanging baskets out of your hair? At least it was pretty much your color. I am sitting here with such a big grin on my face.....very entertaining plant shopping with you. LMAO

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

No, it's still in there. We plant shop well together,,,I thoroughly enjoyed the day with you,,,first time I didn't feel like I had to hurry,,,LOL Can't wait to go to Foxfire to take those MO's,,,LOL

oz,
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Still wondering about that Pink Marbles.

Kelly

Oz....I'm done hijacking as well. You are going to have so much fun when we come to visit.

I'm off to bed.

Kelly----I do not worry about what goes on a thread. will leave that to those who do. Yeah Emmence Gardens kis where i am thinking about buying it from. I am going to try to research a little more on it before I do. some hosta really can get out of hand. Seems I seen something about the australian strain in the Heuchera book I got. I need to research on the latin name.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,

They have a few nice ones. I don't mind the shaggy look to a heuchera. If you find out anymore info, let me know. I'm interested in that one now too,,,,see what happens??? LOL

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

I'm looking out for Peachy Keen up here as well Ozarkian and nobody has it. The main nursery that I deal with was expecting to stock it this year but the lady there told me that something happened on the supplier's end and now they're not getting it at all for 2006. I wonder what that "something" was.

Erynne

Erynne---- you do not have a chance Sandy is all over the place after those things up there.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Lol at you Oz!
I'm looking for Peachy Keen for her as well as me! So when I find the elusive heuchera I'm gonna buy 2! Oh, and I think I stand a pretty good chance (wink).

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I purchased two Peachy Keen last spring, I had not heard of it at the time, but when I saw it I knew I had to have it. Both plants are growing and doing fine this spring. I have not seen it for sale anywhere else. I have not been to that greenhouse since last year (it's an hour drive) I will try to remember to take picture tomorrow and post. I still love it!

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Yes, please post some pics Shady!
I found this link and it could be part of the reason why we're not seeing them in the nurseries this year:
http://flowervillefarms.safeshopper.com/875/1189.htm?416

I know the message was posted last year but it could have affected the availability for this year.
Erynne

Thanks for posting that Erynne. I won't be counting on that being in my order from Hole's again this year. Maybe it's not too late to change it. I tried last year and didn't get it. Maybe this one's not going to make it big.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Well, just purchased Peachy Keen, Velvet Night and Tiarella 'Neon Lights' from one place. Then purchased Pink Marble, Midnight Rose and Hercules from a different place. Can't wait to get them.

Kelly

Shadyfolk---- just where in ohio did you get those things. I am going to 2 nurseries up there on July 21st. One is Wade and Gatton and the other is a real large place by Columbus. Cannot remember its name right now.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oz,

This would still be quite a hike from W &G, I'm not sure but guessing about an hour.
I found them at Petitti's Garden Center, large volumn garden center. http://www.petittigardencenter.com/ The owner, Angelo has a show on a local radio station every Saturday morning. They have two very large & VERY ($$$) nice retail stores and then they have these 'satelite' stores with Sears at the mall. I had gone to their main store in Strongsville, OH when I found Peachy Keen. Petitti's is very pricey for me. I am on their mailing list and receive coupons, They wanted $20 for one plant. Well, in their spring mailing they had two $10 off $20 or more coupons, one for April and one for May. I drove across town twice to pick them up, but got em for $10 each! Thank heavens gas wasn't $3/gallon at the time.

It's a damp and foggy morning so the light is not be the best in these pictures. The little white spots is moisture on the leaves.

The following pictures were taken this morning one of each plant. They are planted about 16" apart.

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Heres the other one, notice a slight difference in the coloring.

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I just tried to call Terrra Nova and got their recording even though it is within the business hours stated in the recording?? I would love to know the scoop, I hope it is not a diseased plant? What would be the reasons to stop production? Any spectulations?

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Nice pics Shady! Good idea going right to the source to find out the scoop on Peachy Keen. Please let us know if you discover anything.

In the meantime I'll remain optimistic that I'll be able to find it. Pulleeze stay on the prowl, Erynne!

The reason I want Peachy Keen so much is because I can't have it. LOL. You see, back in the fall of 2004 I went to a little event showcasing new perennials for 2005. Peachy Keen was one of them I fell in love with. I looked everywhere in 2005 with no luck at all. So I'm on a mission this year.

I've just started going around to the nurseries here, so I've got my fingers and toes crossed. I can just see it now....me wading through benches of heuchera foliage and there...right at the very back, I spy a glint of something pink behind a plethora of Palace Purple leaves. Is it PK? YES it is! Oh joy!..........and I don't even care that people are snickering as they pass by the lady with the dirty lips (she didn't just KISS that plant pot did she?)

Kelly, you'll have to let us know which is more good looking - Peachy Keen or Pink Marble!

Sandy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sandy,

Where the heck have you been???? Haven't seen you post for a long time,,,unless I've just been missing your posts,,,,,which I doubt,,,LOL

Kelly

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Peachy Keen is mentioned and she comes a flyin' outta hiding....hehehehe.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

K & E

I been playing in the dirt. My hands have been too dirty to go near any keyboard! hee hee

Sandy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sandy,

Glad to hear it,,,,it's almost *that time*,,,LOL

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Oh oh!

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Great pics Shady and thanks for posting (drool fest here, lol). Also thanks for trying to get through to Terra Nova....I hope there's nothing wrong with the plant because it would be a shame. Terra Nova is the direct supplier for my local nursery so no wonder they don't have it.
Sandy, I'm staying on the prowl, don't worry. I had a feeling we lost you to your garden over the past bit and thank you for getting it nice and ready for us to visit, lol.

Erynne

OH GOD it is back!!!!

Sandy do not let them bother you. That bunch could not find there way from wisc to Iowa much less over the boarder and through the woods to Sandys house we would go.

I have 4 nice black bass 16" long caught before 8:45 this morning and the black sky blew in and i got nervous. Normally I would stay out the no matter what the weather was. But I was fishing where last F-2 went accross the lake and seeing the damage I think made me nervous. One cabin up there was taken off its foundation and dumped in the lake.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Erynne,
I have to say the plants looked great last year, healthy and thriving and the same with this spring,I am very pleased with their performance, unlike some others I have tried to grow (i.e. H. Snow Angel)

Maybe it's a patent thing going on with Peachy Keen?

Back to weeding the moss, Shady

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,

You schmoozer you,,,,don't try and butter her up,,,you know your getting that Canadian Trailer ready,,,LOL Gonna make us a fish fry for lunch??????

Shady,
Very Lovely,,,nice and healthy looking and yes, there is a slight difference. Almost unnoticeable unless pointed out. I take it Snow Angel didn't do well for you? I don't have that one, but was thinking on it. A friend has one and I Think hers is doing well. Wonder why when there is a difference in zones. I would think it would do better in your zone. Maybe it is the amount of sun or a micro climate thing?

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

GardenGeek, I am sure its a micro climate thing. I had it growing in a pot all summer so it wa big and healthy when I planted it in the fall and it is bearly coming up, it's alive, is all I can say for it.

Anyway, I got through to Terra Nova and here is the scoop--They are having a time of it coming out of the lab and that only a few flats went out last spring. Yes, it is out-of-production!

Boy do I feel lucky!!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

On Shady's lead, I contacted the distributor (the lady that gave the talk, and where I first saw the plant). Just heard back. Here's the scoop - in Canada, anyway:

Unfortunately this plant has proven to be a giant challenge to propagate on
a commercial scale. We were the only commercial nursery who had salable
product in North America in 2004. The tissue culture lab tried to propagate
through all of 2004 and 2005 and failed miserably. After that they gave up.
So if you come across a plant, treasure it. There are not many of them
around.

JANET ANDERSON
A division of JEA Perennials Inc.
Strathroy, ON

I think I'll hold out a small glimmer of hope - but I think I'll be pouting the rest of the day..... :-(

Sandy

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Rats!!! Double phooey!
Shady, you are sooo lucky to have not one but two! Now you got to baby them because they're rare. Well, that solves the Peachy Keen mystery hey Oz?

Well, I'll be after looking for Green Spice now and so far I've got enough heuchera to keep me busy.

Erynne

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Of course now that I can't have it, I REALLY REALLY WANT it. LOL

Haven't been on our plant buying trip yet, but I will look. Probably won't find it I'd imagine.

More rats, and double phooey!!!

Susan
=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Shady,

Hope it starts doing better. Heartbreaking when you're Supposed to see the nice leaves and all when the snow melts and all you see is a little slip of a thing,,,grrrrr Kinda how my Amber Waves is this year. Looked Great until we had the last freezing rain, snow, freezing rain, snow all in one day. I have a few new leaves coming,,,so I'll be watching it closely.

Very interesting news,,,,now I"m wondering if I'll get mine, or if they'll e-mail me saying they don't have it.

There is still Pink Marble ladies

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh, oz,

Got a pic for you. This is my Dolce Peach Melba,,,,she's a beaut isn't she?

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI

I have one of those Kelly. It is still taking root.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.