Gardening in Window wells

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

This may sound extremely strange, but I am considering putting some annuals in my window well.

Our main room in lower level has a very large well that probably measures (this is a guestimate) 12 feet wide - roughly the size of a triple window. Currently, if you are in this room, you look out on dirt and rocks. I checked with the previous owners when we bought the house last year, and I know that there is no drainage system there - it is just dirt.

Since the view is severly lacking, I think that some impatients would really cheer things up. The area get indirect light due to the oversized azaleas directly in front of the window well.

Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it themselves?

Linden, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is this the egress window for the lower level? If so the area might need to stay relatively clear. I would start with some groundcover - they can be stepped on in an emergency without harming them. I've never tried it but Alpine chamomile looks like it would work well with rocky soil and partial sun and has cheery yellow flowers. It's perennial so it will be low maintenance. There are many flowering ground covers to choose from, just be careful of the invasive varieties.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

We actually have a walkout basement, so you wouldn't need to use these windows. All of the rooms have windows, plus the garage is located there.

I am hoping to take a picture of it this week to post.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.