Does tithonia have bare legs?

Providence, RI(Zone 6b)

Does tithonia have bare legs when it is fully grown? I can't visualize how an oval stand would look.

I am thinking of planting a stand in the center of a 4' by 10' foot raised bed and ringing it with 2 or 3 shorter annuals or herbs, which have yet to be determined. I'm trying to stay to a red, orange, purple, yellow scheme as I understand butterflies and hummingbirds prefer those colors. I have African blue basil plants that I would like to use for their green and purple coloring and upright form, but again can't visualize how the form will look and am trying to use each plant to its advantage! I welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Not for me--but it gets HUGE down here--easily 4' by 3' wide, but full. But would look beautiful ringed by your suggestions.....just keep in mind it gets big. I've often seen 30-40 monarchs in a frenzy around this plant.
Debbie

(Zone 6a)

I've never grown tithonia before...but I think it would look really good with Salvia 'Victoria Blue'. And maybe some white annual babies breath? For a nice cool touch.

Steve

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

There are two different sizes to tithonia-there is a dwarf one. They stay full and low to the ground, unless you plant something right in front of it and block the sun to the bottom part of the plant. It reseeds pretty well for me.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I started Tithonia from seed last year but won't be growing it this season.I think I must have had the smaller version.It grew to about 3feet wide and not very tall.It didn't reseed.Most plants don't reseed in this growing space except the weeds.The reason I am not growing it again is that I don't have enough room for annuals.I am planting many different perrenial salvias there instead.

Providence, RI(Zone 6b)

The tithonia I have is Sundance...described as "compact plants" to 3 feet tall. I like the idea of pairing it with a blue/purple salvia and white babies breath. That combination might work well as a foil for the intensity of the "bright, scarlet-orange" blooms.

Color is a great thing when you know how to use it and I'm hoping to avoid either flat out disasters or retina-burning combinations. Same thing is true for form. I don't want to end up with bizarre busyness. I have to keep reminding myself to include repetition of form, or, less is more!

(Zone 6a)

I've got a picture of your garden in my mind and I think it should look pretty good. I'm also trying to avoid disasters this year. Last year I planted a patio container with dwarf sunflower and other earlier annuals around them..........the sunflowers smothered everything not to mention the critters ate one.....and when they were finished blooming I had to move in a pot of gangly zinnias from another area.....didn't turn out the way I planned.

Steve

Providence, RI(Zone 6b)

Isn't that the way of gardening? But, when you find plants and combinations that you like and that do well, you marvel!

One thing that I have learned is to pay better attention to some of the vital statistics before planting, particularly mature size. 'Victoria Blue' looks wonderful. Right size, attractive foliage, vivid spikes of color. Thanks for suggesting it, I can't wait to try it!

(Zone 6a)

Your welcome! This year I'm going to try Dahlia 'Soulman' with Ammi majus and something else....lowgrowing in the front of the container I think. maybe annual babys breath...

Steve

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I think flower combinations are the most interesting part of gardening. And sometimes what you had in your mind's eye is so far from the reality that appeared in your garden! Some great matches and some real disasters! That's Mother Nature!

SW gardener--I noticed you are growing Ammi majus, too. I started two kinds of Ammi, thinking it would be a good neutral 'buffer' between the brights common to the BF gardens. I'm wondering if that will be true!

I am growing two kinds of Tithonia (Mexican Sunflower) too. The 'Torch' and 'Fiesta del Sol'...! I think with the wildflower type of flower (like tithonia) it is difficult to get too formal with them...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tithonia&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=60&sa=N

I like sages with Tithonia. I plan to grow some yellow Helenium around mine, too, for late summer bloom. And Liatris is loved by the butterflies and birds and is easy to grow.

I love butterfly and hummingbird gardens. So much fun and so Alive!

http://www.buenacreekgardens.com/hummer-garden.htm

(Zone 6a)

Have you grown Ammi before Tabasco? What's the other kind you're trying? This is my first year trying it and it's sprouted up well. I'm going for a 'tropical' them this summer.
I just saw some Liatris seed earlier today....maybe I should pick it up for my WSing.....

Steve

Providence, RI(Zone 6b)

tabasco...thanks for those links, they lead to some great pictures and butterfly gardening information.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I absolutely love this flower. It gets huge here around 10 feet. Sprays of orange everywere and butterflys galore. Also like one of the prettiest cut flowers ever.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I'm growing Ammi for the first time this year. So far it just looks like I have a row of Daucus.

I love Tithonia, but just sowed it 2 days ago. In these parts we have variable success. I don't think they like all the rain we get. They are usually very large and unruly in my garden and I put them out of the way. I agree completely with the assessment above: they are absolutely stunning as a cut flower, and the stem feels like velvet.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've grown Tithonia Goldfinch (yellow of course:) and its pretty but big 3'-4' and full.
I have seeds for the orange or orange/red but I haven't tried them yet. I don't see the seed for Goldfinch very much. I picked mine up off a seed rack at Target a couple of years ago and just collect seed from my plants to keep it going.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.