first blueberry flower of the season and a question

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Thought I'd share my excitement seeing the first flower on my blueberry bushes. Now, how to keep the birds and critters away so I can enjoy more than the 2 (two) berries that we managed to save from last years descending horde. We've been thinking about building a small enclosure and then using netting to keep out the birds. Any thoughts? Any particular size mesh I should look for? Thanks in advance for the usual excellent suggestions.

Thumbnail by escubed
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

A regular thin plastic "Bird Mesh" works great. It's very light so you can simply drape it over the plants. Available at many nurseries and some "big box" stores.
If there is a problem with squirrels/chipmunks, be sure to secure it tightly to the ground.
I use it over my Strawberries and very young pepper plants some times.
Andy P

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I had the fellow who works for me build a pvc pipe frame, using lightweight pvc in 34" size, then we used wire ties to fasten regular bird nettiing over the frame. Has worked for three years now. It is light weight, so to pick the blueberries, I just lift it off my 4 plants, then put back in place until i want to pick again. I do have to keep 3 pieces of 2x 4 on top to keep the wind from blowing the frame over.

DonnaS

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I planted 6 blueberry bushes in the Fall.I ordered them from Raintree Nursery.From the beginning they were in bloom and bloomed all winter.The berries didn't form because of the cold weather but now they are full of berries and I'm worried about the squirrels.I have bird netting but ( MY ) squirrels will eat thru anything.Any suggestions?

Blueberry season are here is usually July and these berries look like they will rippen soon!The 2 varieties are Misty and Sunshine.

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

We have squirrels here but they've never botherd the blueberries, perhaps because they are up high in 5 gallon buckets.

For birds I have some green 60" wide, very small mesh that I bought in the fabric section of the local wally world. The mesh is probably about 1/8-3/16". I think I paid about 50 cents a yard for it. This will be its 5th season of serivce. There are a couple of small tears where branches have grown through the mesh during useand there was a slight tear getting them off. It is also quite bleached by now. I have sewn large tubes about 3-4' long by laying two 60" pieces on top of each other and making a seam up the left and right sides. This leaves it open on both ends. I lay the tube on the ground, set the bucket in it and pull it up around the plant. Strips of elastic are tied around the pot and the top is folded over and sealed with small binder clips but a bread tie could also be used. Harvesting consits of taking off a couple of binder clips and reaching inside.

The same mesh could be draped over the plants, with or without sewing strips together.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.