Newbie....what do I do about squirrels digging up my corn???

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm new at this, 3x I have planted corn kernels and each time the darn squirrels dig them up. Is there anything that will stop them from doing that?

Last time I planted, I placed my motion activated water sprinkler (Crow) along the corn row, and thought that would keep them away, but darn if the cute little rats didn't do it to me again!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Use blood or bone meal. You can buy it pretty cheaply at most places that sell plants. Sprinkle it on the ground around where you planted. Need to reapply after rain.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a joke folks--don't throw nothing at me now! There's the old Texas philosophy of the the s's--shoot, shovel, and shut up! Espiecially in Magnolia...LOL...I have LOTS of friends up there!
Debbie

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

One time I had trouble with a mole going right down the rows of newly planted sweet corn. Well, I planted a nice thick strip of field corn across the end of the garden and that kept him busy and fed until the corn got up ok..
Perhaps you could feed the rascals corn before they reach your garden.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

How big is this corn planting? Is it something that can be covered with chicken wire until the seedlings are up? That often works for me here... or pepper/garlic spray or powder.

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I won't throw anything dmj, my husband shot one squirrel in our garden with an air rifle last year. It wasn't an idea I encouraged, but they haven't been back (in plain sight anyway). I don't know if having a kitty helps though!

But short of hunting them down, I agree with Indy. Feed them and they will leave everything else alone. Says my mother anyways. She feeds them corn, sunflower seeds and peanuts. They let her garden be. Plus she loves to watch them run around.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

I believe in putting out food for the squirrels, as long as the food is inside a HavaHart trap. Squirrels used to look cute to me, but after all the damage they have done to our garden, they don't look cute anymore. I shoot them with my 22-caliber air rifle every chance I get.

MM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I put corn out for the deer, near the veggie garden. I thought the squirrels would love that, but all they eat is sunflower seeds from the bird feeder. I did notice they found the corn in the ground during a weekend when I was away and thus did not fill the bird feeders. Until then they probably had no idea what they were missing.

It's a small garden, I think the chicken wire idea would work well. Will try that next year. Probably too late now.

So once the corn sprouts, the squirrels leave it alone? But the deer will eat the new seedlings, right?

Lu

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Deer will eat anything not nailed down. I'm not sure if the corn you put out for them will distract them or just serve as an appetizer. Two techniques that have worked for me are Liquid Fence (just don't get downwind when you're spraying it) and a 7 foot tall fence of welded wire and 4x4's.

Berrygirl, I thought some sort of rodent went after bone meal???

pam

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Pam,
I dont know- I sure hope not-lol! All I know is that blood and/or bone meal kept the rabbits out of my garden when nothing else would. I thought it might help Lady b/c rabbits and squirrels are similar pests. I have never seen any other kind of rodents in my garden.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I know the bloodmeal attracts dogs, put them in your flower bed and watch them roll in it! Will try it anyway!

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I know my mom told me to never use bone meal with the tulips because something will go after the bulbs, but can't remember what the varmint was...of course the deer are so bad around here tulips are a moot point, anyway. :)

pam

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Pam,
I feel your pain... I really do. Around my yard, if it's not the deer, then it's the rabbits. If not them, then it's squirrels, moles, voles, etc...... arrrgghh!

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Oh, goodness, yes. And the enormously fat woodchuck that lives under my front porch. *sigh*

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Ladyborg, in the book, "Great Garden Companions" by Sally Jean Cunningham, she suggests planting corn in narrow trenches and cover each trench with a long roll of gutter guard, usually plastic or wire and about 5 inches wide. By the time the corn hits the ceiling, you take the guard off. I saw gutter guard at Home Depot last time I was there. I would add, that you'd probably want to anchor it with some rocks on either side and at the ends. Not sure if the squirrels will figure it out. I haven't tried it myself. But thought I'd chime in.

Good luck and let us know if your corn makes it.

Jen

This message was edited Apr 26, 2006 6:52 PM

Prince Frederick, MD

I am a wildlife rehabber who specializes in squirrels and who also gardens. Many years of experience have taught me that feeding them something else to keep them out of the garden is the only humane method that works consistently. We have a large vegetable garden every summer and either plant some for the squirrels or provide other foods (peanuts, sunflower seeds). We lose very little to them since we started doing that. It's the raccoons that give us trouble. I would also remind you that most states have laws against harming wildlife even if they are tearing up your garden. Predator urine around the borders of your garden (or even human urine if you have the nerve) can also work. Spring and late summer are breeding season for most squirrel species. Nursing moms are extra hungry. If you shoot the adults in your garden patch, their babies will starve in your trees.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

sciurus,

interesting that feeding them would keep them out of the garden. I would think it would just attract them to my yard. The squirrels around here spend a lot of time in my yard anyway. They pull the crabapples off the tree once they're ripe. I've watched them from my home office. I don't mind that. They can have all the crabapples they want. I was worried that they'd get into my peach tree that I just planted this spring. It is already forming baby peaches. I would never harm any animal, even if it does eat my peaches, just so you know. So, if I feed the squirrels to keep them away from my peaches, how much, how often do you think I should feed them? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jen

ottawa, Canada(Zone 4a)

Hi All:

Just to add to the "feed and distract" strategy - you'll probably want to feed them in an area away from your garden.

I feed birds (and squirrels/chipmunks) prodigiously at some distance from my veggie gardens and have enjoyed little trouble (although my tomatoes get "sampled" periodically).

I don't use pepper spray because i have a bad case of "critter-guilt".

I've also heard that clusters of dog hair hung about the garden will work as a deterrent (similar to the urine strategy) but I have three dogs and I think that the local bandits are accustomed to dog smell everywhere by now.

Good luck.

Steve

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Just a thought, what if you ust threw a netting like the black plastic deer netting over your peach, crab apple trees, even the corn etc. It wouldn't have to be anything fancy because you can hardly see it anyway.

I enjoy the squirrels even when they plant sunflower seeds in all of the flower pots on my deck. At least their plants grow. Can't believe how good farmers they are. I am trying corn this year for a first and I think that is what I am going to do. Just throw the netting around it. Won't they all be surprised. Probably I will too.

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

i had trouble with squirrels digging in my pots and stealing my tomotoes,a little old lady toled me to put red pepper the hotter the better in the pot and sprinkle it on the plants,was i surprise no more squirrels,any one know how to get rid of gophers, soon as something comes up it,s head is bit off and all i have is a row of sticks sticking up .and you don,t dare touch them cause its against the law,they say there exstint,don,t belive that

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

gophers re extinct???? I should live so long.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Indy...

Moles don't eat corn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.